The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 19 February 1987

Magic Roundabout




English Literature Letter Conversation Between Jez (Ritcherd ) & Jen (Jenny Taylor):



JEN:
Hello, how R U?  R U looking forward to tonight?  R U going to get drunk?  Is any girlie going that U like?  If so, TELL ME ALL ABOUT HER!!  Just being nosey.  Me, Mandy + Sarah are staying at Dan Coppin’s house.  We bought his mum some flowers, thinking we could give them to Dan at tech, but he hasn’t turned up, so we’ll have to take them to the Disco.  RSVP.



JEZ:
JEN, HILLAW!  Long time no letter.  Yes!  I want to get ‘drenk’.  But I dunno if der is any gurlie-wurlie going that’ll take me, acktwurlie.  But I do rather like a few who are going.  BOOGAH!  I’m still recovering from Saturday’s party.  Oh, anyway, there is one gurlie goth what I like called Jo and we – me ‘n’ Roger – are going to attempt to introduce ourselves to her.  She’s short with black hair.  And she knows I ‘fancy’ her.  RSVP or I knack you!



JEN:
I know who you mean.  Why do you have to say ‘goth’, though?  Does it make any difference if she’s a goth?  There’s a nice ‘goth’ (!) boy going who I fancy like mad, but I don’t fancy my chances.  Nether mind, I’ll get pissed + make myself known.  Well, he knows I like him but hasn’t made a move.  I hope you + Roger don’t end up fighting over that girlie – they’re not worth it!



JEZ:
Do I know this ‘goth’?  Who does he go around with?  Actually, I’m not dead sure what I’ll do tonite when it comes to gurls, as this ‘goth’ (if she is typical of ‘goths’) won’t want to go with another goth, I shouldn’t think.  Do you still go out with wotsit?



JEN:
Ian?  Erm, yes!  Yes, you know this goth.  Goes round with the gothic minority at tech.  Why won’t this girlie goth want to go with another goth?



JEZ:
Dunno.  I just find that, in a lot of cases, female persons of the ‘wearing black’ type don’t oft go out with males of the ‘black wearing’ species.  Who is this goth?  David?  Pot NoodleRoger?  What’s his name?  RSVP.



JEN:
No, he’s none of your suggestions.  Roger!!! Oh dear, do you really think I’m that desperate!  No, that’s mean.  He’s sweet.  David’s nice, but it’s not him.  I thought though that goths would tend to stick to their own?  I mean, you don’t often get goths going out with trendies.  Well, Ian’s a trendy + I’m not really into fashion.   Think of Roger + you’re close!



JEZ:
NYALL!  PLASTIC NICK!  KEITH!  ME!  Well?  Guessing games…  I might be lucky tonite. I dunno about goths ‘n’ trendies.  It’s happened before.  She won’t like me anyway.  I’m a tit.  And I’m rather undesireable.  I hope I can freak out tonite.  We’ll see what happens.  RSVP.



JEN:
Well, one of those suggestions was right.  I bet I’ll just make a fool of myself.  I’ll probably tell him that I like him + he’ll probably say, ‘Fuck off, you drunken dog’, or something.  He looks too nice to say that, though, but that would be typical with my luck.  See ya tonite.



JEZ:
Wait a mo’.  What about Ian?  Aren’t things alright?  If it’s Nyall, he might say that…You never know.  I doubt it.  But he doesn’t look too nice.  Nor does Plastic Nick.  But Keith does. And I do, on an off-day.  GOOD LUCK anyway.  I’m sure we’ll all find out who it is by late tonite.  Golly me!  What a jolly pair of Discos I’ll be attending.  COR!   Full of surprises, gurlies, booze and dickheads.  And naïve little boys ‘n’ gurlies trying to get off with each other.  Ho-ho-ho!  What a jape!  See ya!



JEN:
I hope Nyall doesn’t say ‘fuck off’!!



JEZ:
NYALL KNOWS.  JUST ABOUT!



JEN:
How do you know he knows?  Then you knew all along!  Hah!  Has he said anything to you?  I mean, I don’t want to waste my time + money (getting drunk 4 courage!) if he hates me!



JEZ:
He came up to me about two days ago and said that someone had told him that either U or Sarah fancied him.  He didn’t say much else.



JEN:
It better not be Sarah, or I’ll pan ‘er ‘ead in!



JEZ:
That’s it!  Good luck.  Goodbye!



JEN:
Good luck + goodbye.  Do you want this note?



JEZ:
DO YOU?!



JEN:
I asked first.



JEZ:
IF YOU WANT IT, KEEP IT, OR I KNACK YOU IN!



JEN:
You have this one, I’ll have the next!  OK, yar?



Later:



My No.1: ‘Fall (John Peel Session)’ – The Jesus and Mary Chain




Tech was shaeght, but at The Videodome’s recording studio, a demo was sort of ‘nocked up of THE MAGIC ROUNDABOUTS’ ultra-feedback-gimmick recording of the Watson/Watson/Winterfood song ‘Alone’.  Which is crap!



Seek ASYLUM IN A

                             GLASS!



The discos were good.



I really like ‘Temple Of Love’ by The Sisters of Mercy, which I danced to tonight.




What else?



At the disco, Jenny Taylor fell in love with Nyall, but he found a new girlfriend on the other side of the dance floor.  This really cut Jen up.







[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’ section below) / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 13 July 2011 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]



NEXT TIME: ‘So many girls…’

No comments:

Post a Comment