The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 1 March 1985

All the Music I Have Loved

‘Purple Rain’ – Prince


I’ve decided to call my school/sports bag ‘Dougal’.


Once more, I went out for dinner to the shop.

After school, I spiked my hair and went to the Elm Disco.

OLD DIARY ENTRIES…

[About five years before all this, in March 1980: Mum and George gained management of a Working Men’s Club in Leeds serving hospital employees. I was sad to leave Pontefract – particularly my best friend Birdy.

Even so, Leeds was interesting. It was hard to adjust to my new school, but I did, and soon found myself discovering pop music…

Now, some of my earliest memories of being an infant in Western Avenue, Pontefract, have a soundtrack featuring The Beatles’ Yellow Submarine

…And various T Rex songs.


Abba made a little impact on me in mid-‘70s Nostall…


…And so did Space.


Some late ‘70s New Wave had interested me in Pontefract.


But in Leeds, aged 10, my little heart fell in love with the likes of Madness, The Jam and The Specials


…And then Adam and the Ants


…And the New Romantic movement.



I was also hanging around with a bunch of misfit ‘teenagers’ (aged 11 – 15), and this had a big influence on me. I even started seeing one of them: Mary Lennox. She turned 15 in 1981, and we used to snog in the lifts of the flats – can you believe that? I can’t even now! I was only ten-years-old, you see! But it was great fun. My best mate in this little ‘estate gang’ was Ian Shackleton, who went to a different school, but liked the same music and telly as me.

Twiggy, our cat, went missing in Leeds, but her son, Sooty, lived on and we also got a gorgeous new German Shepherd puppy called Sam – Ritcherd, 1990]

This time 3 years ago:

‘I watched the new Doctor Who story: Black Orchid (Part One).


This time 2 years ago:
‘I missed the first part of Doctor Who: Enlightenment tonight!’

This time last year:
‘I watched Doctor Who: Planet Of Fire (Part Three).

 




[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]








No comments:

Post a Comment