The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 9 February 1985

How I Came to Love Doctor Who

‘Close (to the Edit)’ – Art of Noise


Went up town with Jayne, Linda and Brett.

Back at Jayne’s I found out that last year she was FORCED to have sex with her ex-boyfriend! The swine!

I got in late. Oh dear.

I’ve been listening to Art of Noise, Kirsty MacColl and Killing Joke.

Totally missed both parts of the latest Doctor Who story: Mark Of The Rani, which looked like it might be a good one, but I’m just too busy these days. I’ll try and watch The Two Doctors next week, because Patrick Troughton’s in it.

[You will have discovered that I love Doctor Who. I fell head over heels with it in February 1974 as I watched Jon Pertwee attempt to bring Death To The Daleks.   I used to think I saw Planet Of The Daleks first, and I may have done, but my memory of seeing Daleks prior to Death isn't as vivid as it might be, so I can’t be sure.


I saw something with Daleks in – and a metallic city and people climbing inside Daleks – but it may have been a TV showing of the first Peter Cushing movie. I like to think it was Planet Of The Daleks, because that gives me a better 'Doctor Who Fan Credit Rating', but I can’t be too sure. I would have been only two-years-old at the time.


I have no doubts that I saw Death To The Daleks, though. I was three by then and I’m pretty sure this tells you where I was between 5.30 – 5.55pm on Saturday, 9th March 1974 (in Rossington, Doncaster, South Yorkshire). By then, Doctor Who was made to be seen in colour, but even through our black and white set it transfixed me. It was the Daleks that drew me in – their look, their sound, and the sense of terror inspired by their metallic grating. I watched, alone and excited, while everyone was busy doing something else, like cooking tea.


I watched Doctor Who on and off from 1974 – 1978, when my interest waned. It seemed to get less scary and a lot more boring. But Doctor Who Weekly came out in October 1979, and I found a copy of the Doctor Who Monster Book in a hedge – which was strange – and this got me interested in the programme again. In its history and its heritage.
 


 

Actually, reading the Target novelizations (which I was already aware of) was almost even more exciting than watching the programme because the imagination was doing all the work and creating a nostalgia for something ‘pre-historical’ to me. By 1980, I was very excited about Doctor Who and would never miss it – until 1985, that is…
 
– Ritcherd 1990]

OLD DIARY ENTRIES…

This time 6 years ago:
Came back from Marrick, which was sad. Got my school report:

COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE WEST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE

EDUCATION COMMITTEE

REPORT BOOK

for Ritcherd Jones
 
SECOND YEAR
MID YEAR
English Ritcherd reads well and shows a good understanding of the books he chooses. His written work is imaginative and well developed and he makes use of a varied and interesting vocabulary.
Mathematics Ritcherd finds Maths quite difficult and does not always put in the effort required to achieve good results. He tends to give in rather easily rather than persevere with difficulties. He has made steady progress.
Other aspects of work
Ritcherd has an individual style and is never short of ideas in creative activities. He works hard and produces interesting and thoughtful work. He could make a greater effort in P.E.
General remarksRitcherd is hard working when he is involved in activities he enjoys but tends to be easily satisfied when he finds work difficult or requiring concentrated effort. He is a pleasant, helpful boy in class.
MJ Tickner
Class Teacher
1.2.79

This time 3 years ago:
I missed Doctor Who tonight!

This time 2 years ago:
Birdy came over and we played in the snow. We had a laugh with the ice.
 
I watched Doctor Who: Mawdryn Undead (Part Four). Videoed it.  Ace.



[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


No comments:

Post a Comment