The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 26 November 1990

The Sisters of Mercy, Wembley Arena, 26 Nov 1990

‘Butterfly On A Wheel’ – The Mission

 
First, the mundane stuff…
 
Legs and I set off this morning with our sleeping bags and 6 cans of lager each.  We got into VICTORIA at about 2pm and mooched around the train station drinking our lager.  Two odd things happened here: i) a man approached us asking if we had ten pence to spare.  We said we hadn’t and that we were totally skint (true), so he ended up giving us thirty pence!  Odd…  ii) the police stopped Legs and me and searched us for drugs – even contacting the local station to do a namecheck on me!  Only a few days ago, legs and I were saying we’d like to bring some gear (either acid or blow) to the gig.  I’m glad we didn’t.
 
At Wembley Arena, I was glad to bump into Flash and Tom, having be certain we probably wouldn’t.  Over all, we didn’t spend too much time together – add it all up, it was about 20 minutes.  Flash was great and I was really pleased to see him.  He smokes now (Eldritch-brand cigarettes!) and seems much more laid back than he used to.  Nicer?  I don’t know.  I was just glad he was there and in the fleeting moments we shared, it felt really nice and very much as if we’re still the best of friends – and I do hope we are and will continue to be.  We got straight into being ‘us’ for such a brief meeting, which was lovely.  Brilliant.
 
Later:
 
EXTREMELY LATE:
 
‘This Corrosion (Live)’ – The Sisters Of Mercy

 
THE SISTERS OF MERCY.  WEMBLY ARENA.  FIRST AND LAST AND ALWAYS MINE.  THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, EXCITING THING EVER!  TO TALK ABOUT IT LIMITS IT.  IT WAS JUST SO… ALL-CONSUMING.  SO POWERFUL.  UNBELIEVABLE.  PERFECT.  WILD AND SEXY.  I’VE NEVER FREAKED OUT SO MUCH WITH DANCING LIKE THAT AT A GIG.  OR IN MY LIFE!  OR SUNG ALONG TO ANYTHING QUITE SO LOUDLY.  DIVINE.  HEAVEN.
 
Later:
 
‘Temple Of Love (Live)’ – The Sisters Of Mercy

 
A bit later:
 
Today was gorgeous.  I’ll try not to talk about it too much as far as the concert went, but the SISTERS looked and sounded brilliant.  The set was perfect and the atmosphere was body electric.
 
 
 
As Legs said, you had people like Ash going, ‘Oh, it won’t be the same as ’84 or ‘85’, but only because they saw them when no-one knew who they were and they’re trying to hold on to the coolness of that.  It probably wasn’t the same, no, but who’s to say it wasn’t better?  In 1984, the Sisters were one of many touring bands ‘on the scene’ – today they’re a rare commodity.  These are their first UK dates since 1985.  Having, like many others, believed I’d never get to see them, seeing them tonite with material from every iteration of their career was just brilliant: tension mixed with ecstasy.  Eldritch and his band were just so powerful; you couldn’t really take your eyes off them.  I couldn’t stop dancing.  And normally at a gig I get bored about ¾ of the way in.  Not this time.  That was the Ultimate Gig for me.  And, Christ, what an amazing body of work they have now – and how incredibly well they were performed!  A few years ago, I recall Eldritch saying his band was a ‘studio project’ rather than a ‘live’ one.  To be honest, I actually found myself thinking some of the songs were tonnes better live (eg. ‘LUCRETIA’, ‘1969’, ‘TEMPLE OF LOVE’).  I’d love to hear a live LP from this VISION THING tour.  THE SISTERS OF MERCY project is growing up, maturing – and making Eldritch’s name one to be reckoned with.  They have to be the greatest live band I have ever had the experience of and I’m kind of glad they’re not going to dilute the magic of these Wembley gigs by going on national tour.
 
Flash, too, was overawed by the gig.
 
Fortunately, whilst at the gig, Legs and I met two young-looking Gothettes – Janet and Sandy, who I thought were sisters.  They were from Norwich and kindly offered us a lift back to Wisbech St Mary in the car of a bloke called Jerry, who seemed to be just a mate.  It turned out that Janet and Jerry were married – and Sandy was their daughter!  Anyway, they were AMAZING and kindly dropped legs and I off at my house!

 
 
 
[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]
 
Next time: ‘Major’s Bloody Britain…’

No comments:

Post a Comment