The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 6 October 1990

City on the Edge of Forever

‘Dance on Glass (Demo)’ – The Sister of Mercy

 
Today, I read a lot of Flash’s old diaries.
 
Oh, The Chart Show was good, too.
 
Johnny and Missy came over.  Anyway, we three went to Peterborough where I bought a book about the four main alien races in STAR TREK, a video of two ‘60s STAR TREK episodes (ERRAND OF MERCY and CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER).
 
On top of this, I also bought 2000AD issue 700 (which has two brilliant strips: NEMESIS and HEWLIGAN’S HAIRCUT).
 
I also bought DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE issue 166 – this month’s no less.
 
Later:
 
‘December Will Be Magic Again’ – Kate Bush

 
Anyhow, after Peterborough, Johnny and Missy came back here to watch some of Johnny’s new KATE BUSH: SINGLES FILE video.
 
After they had gone, I watched my new STAR TREK episodes.
 
ERRAND OF MERCY was good.
 
When I put it on though, I thought: ‘Oh no!  I don’t think I’m going to like this…’  The style of the show came as a surprise.  But I found myself smiling all the way through.  It wasn’t even that spectacular, but it provided me with an ecstatic joy.
 
CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER was fucking brilliant – just what I hoped it would be.
 
At first, I thought: ‘Hmm, a bit far-fetched…’  But as it progressed, I really enjoyed it.  It had humour and pathos – and that ending!  If you put yourself in Kirk’s position it is so bloody powerful.  Some nice effects too.  I won’t be watching it for a while though – it was almost too good and I don’t want to dilute it through habit.  And Joan Collins is skill!
 
 
[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]
 
Next time: ‘Another regeneration…’

No comments:

Post a Comment