The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 22 October 1990

Another Regeneration for Ritcherd

10am
 
‘Houdini’ – Kate Bush

 
BREAKFAST here at The Alveston was sad and lonely.  Only me here, now.  No packs of weirdoes with blue badges on.  Oh, where have all the DOCTOR WHO fans gone?  I feel so alone now.  So bloody lonely.
 
HI-POINTS OF PANOPTICON X:
 
SYLVESTER MCCOY, SOPHIE ALDRED, JON PERTWEE, FLASH, VANESSA, JOHN AND CHARLIE AND ADAM, FRANK WINDSOR, JAMES ELLIS, NICHOLAS BRIGGSAND ALL OF IT!
 
I CAN’T GET OVER IT.  I THINK IT WAS A KIND OF HEAVEN.  Roll on, the 1991 Convention…
 
Later:
 
1pm
 
‘Children of Groceries’ – Wire
 
 
 
I can’t explain how I feel, in real terms, at all.  Squashed inside?  This knowing that I no longer have any reason to wear my blue PANOPTICON X badge; that there’s no more conference.  No more videos.  No more fan-watching and secretly giggling at all the squares and the people dressed up as Doctors.  I’ll miss them all.  Now there’s just this empty yawn of time before I leave for home.  I feel like a lost soul.  I’m probably the only remaining attendee still in Coventry!  And it’s another two hours before my bus leaves.
 
My imagination must be so limited.  I’m in a café now, my second within the last hour.
 
Tea: best drink of the day.  That’s what it all boils down to.  No pun intended, honestly.
 
I left The Alveston at 10:30am-ish and walked (down a new route) to the City Centre.  Coventry feels strange to me, but also very relaxing.  The air is crisp and the town seems so huge – and also very subterranean and brutalist.  You can almost feel it growing.  I made a point of visiting the blitzed cathedral and took some photographs.  I’ll add them to my Panopticon album when the film is developed.
 
I really miss it.  I feel like I’m already having withdrawal symptoms…
 
Later:
 
‘Mind Games’ – John Lennon

 
Small point, but I was pleased to walk through the cathedral gardens where John + Yoko planted their acorns for peace.
 
Later:
 
2:35pm
 
‘Doctor Who (Mood Version’) – Mark Ayres

 
AN HOUR TO GO.
 
The ‘Soundtrack to My Life’ is playing a unique version of the DOCTOR WHO theme, slow and sentimental in its construction.  An optimistic, major rather than minor, soundtrack to the last few days and my current sense of emptiness (loss?  LOST?). 
 
I’m back in the Bus Station Café.  I’ve run out of bits of Coventry I’m interested in looking at.
 
 
 
I will say it again: I’ve had a bloody excellent weekend; bloody brilliant.  I’m glad I’ve found DOCTOR WHO again (after all, you knew I would anyway!) and it feels good.  I think I’m seeing it all in a new light now and I feel better for it.  Recharged.  REGENERATED.
 
I had a look at Coventry’s theatre and got a Colin Baker picture out of it from one of the handbills.  I also bought two local papers with minor PANOPTICON articles.  It’s all a part of this beautiful and significant weekend.
 
Will I ever shut up about it?
 
 
[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]
 
Next time: ‘The Equity Plan…’

No comments:

Post a Comment