The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 28 September 1990

Trek Replaces Who

‘Don’t Bother Me’ – The Beatles

 
Captain’s Personal Log:
 
I love STAR TREK.  I’m virtually obsessed with it now.
 
FARPOINT was brilliant.  Picard is great.  Deanna Troi is gorgeous and she has a brilliant costume.  I never knew what I was ignoring in all those recent issues of TV ZONE.  And good news on that score – TV ZONE is bringing out a STAR TREK special!
 
Oh, and John Helm – a mate of Flash’s I once met – has had a letter published in TV ZONE.
 
At the moment, I’m more into STAR TREK than I am DOCTOR WHO.  I don’t, of course, expect this to last because I think my favourite programme will always be WHO, but STAR TREK comes as a bit of a saviour right now.  I was falling out of love with WHO.  I noticed this after I finished College and music, drugs and The Beatles became much more important.  This might have been a retrograde step, but I doubt it.  Over the last three years of my WHO-mania, the thing keeping my interest alive has been the new McCOY episodes, annually.  This year, there are none.  It should be on TV, now, but it’s not.  The lack of new material has left me feeling a bit tired of the show; overkill of the same stuff and even old episodes hard to get hold of.  I think I might put DOCTOR WHO to rest for a bit.  For the time being.  With a brief flurry for PANOPTICON (if we get there).  STAR TREK can take WHO’s place for now – and perhaps beyond.  I love it.  The sense of having something new to discover is great.
 
‘What Time Is Love?’ – The KLF

 
Gemma Winchester rang tonite and it was a lovely phone call.  She wanted to go out somewhere with me – tonite!  Sadly, that’s not possible.  Next weekend, we hope.
 
And hooray!  For Jack, who’s now got himself a job in computers.
 
Will I ever get what I want?
 
STAR TREK
The Wrath of Jez
 
 
 
[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]
 
Next time: ‘London with Johnny…’

No comments:

Post a Comment