The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 11 September 1990

The Curtain Falls


I enjoyed EXCALIBUR again.

 

Later:

 

EARLY EVENING

 

Today, on the video, I watched the fantastic HIGHLANDER, which – as a concept – was absolutely great.

 

Later:

 

LATE

 

‘Beautiful Boy’ – John Lennon


 

Flash rang earlier on.  He’s been emptying all his cupboards at home, in readiness for leaving.  Upon Flash’s horizon, Oxford beckons and ‘god’, he’s doing the right thing.  He’s about to leave his current world behind to find a new one.  Something more suitable.  I wish I was.  Al that’s happening to me right now is this: people departing from my sphere, stagnation, my world turning more hostile as it empties itself of love and happiness.

 

I wish I could get that OPEN GLOVE job and move up to Leeds – just for a while (even though it doesn’t begin until December – but how far away is that?  Ten weeks?)

 

I’ll miss Flash when he’s gone.  Perhaps we’ll write to each other more, knowing that we are somehow ‘cut off’ from each other physically.  I feel an amazing empathy with him, and right now I can feel the strange emotions he must be feeling: the leaving of friends and other people, the memories, the elation at the exciting possibilities that lie ahead.  I suppose that when Flash goes, in a way, I too will ‘lose’ the people he’s shared with me: Eddie Moses, Manda Jones, Elbow, Gerry ‘n’ Drum and all that.  Time to say goodbye to Ashton Street

 

THE CHINESE PLAY finally ends.  The curtain falls.

 






 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘In My Life…’

No comments:

Post a Comment