The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 18 August 1990

Life-Saving Donna

7.15pm

‘Come Together’ – Primal Scream

War seems to be on the cards.  I’d rather it wasn’t, but I’m not going to fret about it.

I went to Peterborough today and bought some new DM boots (the old ones are a bit smelly and, anyway, these are bigger altogether), a new ring and the 12-inch of Primal Scream’s latest piece of acety.




Donna Davidson wrote.  Here’s a beautiful quote from her letter:

‘Your last letter started off seeming so optimistic, I was really relieved that you were back, but by the time I got to the last page you seemed so low it was frightening.  I wish I could be there.  I wish that somehow Wisbech St Mary was nearer, more accessible to me because I would have been over like a shot on more than one occasion by now!  I think the worst thing for you at the moment is not having a really close friend around who understands you and knows the situation.  I missed the old days of College a lot last week and, after thinking about it hard, the one thing that made it for me – and really made the whole course – was you.  You certainly inspired me and I’m sure that a lot of other people would agree that you were an inspiration to them.  This is why it hurts so much to see this happening to you – I feel like you’re losing faith in yourself, and you’re the last person who should, because you were the most talented out of everyone…’

That was very kind of her and very flattering.  I wish she could come up and stay for a few days.

‘A Day In the Life’ – The Beatles

God.  I remember those halcyon days of the BTEC course when I first met Donna and she was, apparently, ‘scared’ of me (the Gothic image and all that).  We had to work together on MACBETH when Larry plucked us up a stage kiss from the sub-text (or was it us that went for it based on his groundwork?).  We worked day-in, day-out on that scene, never really speaking as mates.  We were taking a professional approach, simply focusing on the job at hand like professional actors brought together on a job.  It was only about two weeks before the performance that we were at Simon Lewis’ party and we finally spoke as group members.  I think she pulled my boxer shorts off and I gave her a kiss.

Good old Donna.  I ought to ask her to marry me one day.

Later:

‘Tear Me Up’ – Red Lorry Yellow Lorry

Amy rang tonite and she was fun – even if a little boring…

I went to The Angel and chatted to Don for a bit and then went down to Legs’ to get him to come out, which he did.  Legs told me that by wearing bright red laces in my DMs I was suggesting I had an affinity with the NF as they, apparently, do the same.  He suggested I take them out.

God!  It’s a bit much if I can’t dress how I want without being taken for some disgusting racist bigot, which all my friends know I most certainly am not.

Anyway, he lent me some LPs.

I’ve made a new friend in Griff, a guy from County Durham who’s a mate of Legs and Ash.  I like him.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘What Time Is Love?’

No comments:

Post a Comment