The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 12 July 1990

Salvation from Portsmouth

12.40pm

‘You Never Give Me Your Money’ – The Beatles

THIS MORNING!

A phone call from Audrey.  She was pleased to receive my letter this morning and wants to go out one Sunday nite (possibly next Sunday, but not the one coming).

A phone call from Darren Marsh.  He dropped his job at CAMPBELL’S SOUPS and now works on and off at THE DUKE’S HEAD.  He’s a good bloke.

Later:

7.20pm

‘Mr Cab Driver’ – Lenny Kravitz

LET’S GET THE SHITE OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE I TELL YOU OF MY GOOD NEWS…

AMY NEAT rang and it was very dull.  Not her fault, mine.  I was dull and down and boring.  So she put the ‘phone down on me and I don’t blame her.

BETTY and I have been arguing again.  As ever, these days.  She tells me she wants me to go and work at Freddie’s lorry yard.  She’s so oppressive.

I HAVE A PLAN:

1. GET MY (BACKDATED) DOLE CHEQUE
2. FINISH PRINTING CVs, etc.
3. FIND A ‘SHITTY’ JOB (FACTORY?).
4. START WORK.
5. PLACE ORDER FOR STAGE + TV TODAY
6. DO MAIL SHOTS.
7. PRAY FOR THE BEST…

What more can I do?


TODAY, I feel just a little better on the everyday life stakes than I did yesterday.  But in my heart, flowers grow and angels sing.

Why?

I received a postcard this morning, from SOUTHSEA, HANTS.


Dear Ritcherd,

Just a quick note to say ‘hello’ and to let you know I’m still alive.  Life here in Portsmouth is pretty chaotic – the postcard is very appropriate.
Even though I’m seven months late, I’d like to say ‘thank you’ for the Christmas card.  Write to me, please!
Lots of love
Miranda
xxx

I knew she’d write if she got my letters, but the thing is…  Well, I don’t think she did.  If she had she wouldn’t refer solely to the Christmas card.  Therefore I can only assume that her writing to me is a coincidence brought on by her own initiative rather than my insistence.  Quite uncanny that she should think of me now when all my amorous thoughts have been so focussed on her. 

Does she have strong feelings for me?

I mean, July/August/September is OUR TIME OF YEAR, as it were.

Is she feeling just as much as me?  Feelings reaching across the miles from here to Portsmouth and back again? 

Portsmouth suggests (as I predicted at Christmas) that she’s back with Mark Dalton (something that doesn’t fill me with joy, even if he’s probably nice and I don’t actually have anything in the world against him!).  And life’s ‘chaotic’, eh?  Why?

And will she ever return to Norfolk/Cambs?  Will I ever see her again?

Needless to say, I wrote back.  I hope she replies soon.  I hope we can make something happen now.  I hope Mark is out of the way.

But I doubt the future I want will be waiting for me all nice and rosy…

‘I’m Free’ – Soup Dragons

I LOVE:
MIRANDA WASP, DANYEL ‘FLASH’ GORDON, DOCTOR WHO, REVOLVER COMIC, CRISIS COMIC, LENNY KRAVITZ, LED ZEPPELIN, JIMI HENDRIX, THE BEATLES, SOUP DRAGONS, PWEI, RAP, THE GODDESS, LOUD MUSIC, LOUD COLOURS, AFRICAN MUSIC, 1990, POLITICAL PUNK, REGGAE, DRUGS and SOPHIE ALDRED


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

Next time: ‘If Six was Nine…’


No comments:

Post a Comment