The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 26 June 1990

Out with Stan and Flash

‘Hey Music Lover’ – S’Xpress




Flash and I were still talking about DOCTOR WHO into the early hours of this morning.

Today, we went into Wisbech, where I bought the brilliant, the much-acclaimed, the much-mentioned REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS Doctor Who novel by Ben Aaronovitch.

We had coffee in BACCHALLY’S.

This evening, we (after much transport jyp) went to The Angel to see Stan Flowers who’d gotten in touch with us and asked us out for a drink.

When we met up with him, he was chatting to Mary Wallis (whom I used to go out with when I was 14).  Ash was there and so was Ange (Angela) and Emily.

‘E.S.T.’ – Alien Sex Fiend

Well, I ended up playing pool with Ange (who lives in St Mary), Flash talked to Ash, and Stan went off to chat up Mary and Emily (which pissed Flash off as he felt Stan was doing this to shun us and piss us off).  Emily was pissed off with Stan and so was Mary, so eventually they came into the Games Room and Flash went to chat to Stan.

Mary and I talked about ‘the old days’ and then I talked to Emily who was getting fed up and a bit depressed as someone had ‘turned her down’ as it were.  She looked really ‘fanciable’ too (mind you, so did Ange and Mary) and when she was telling me that Stan had told her I was, basically, a ‘male tart she told me I should have been ‘tarty’ and stepped in and rescued her from him.  ‘How?’ I asked.  She said I should have asked her to come for a walk with me outside.  ‘Is that all?’ I asked.

We did go outside, and we talked for ages.  I was basically consoling her over her sadness.  Ange then left with some bloke, asking me if I’d take her bike to Emily’s for her.  I agreed.  So, later, after several pints of bitter, a couple of vodkas, and an England World Cup win on the TV, I walked Emily home, listening to her woes and bringing Ange’s bike.

I left Emily with a big hug, telling her I felt a great deal of affection for her; and I don’t know if it was the alcohol or what but I did feel strongly for her and her current predicament.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘Garden-hopping…’

No comments:

Post a Comment