The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Wednesday, 20 June 1990

Bored Meanderings

‘Time After Time’ – The Beloved

I had a good dream last night, about World War II and it was all tied in with WAR + REMEMBRANCE, and I was one of the main characters – and the feeling on V.E.Day was amazing.  The weight of the war just lifted.  Beautiful.


Later:

BORED MEANDERINGS FROM THE TOWN LIBRARY, WISBECH, 12.15pm

‘Keep On Movin’’ – Soul II Soul

My Wisbech is a good place, I suppose.  Tucked away, sublimely, incongruously in the Fenland backwaters. 

My view from the upper windows of the Library is the walled in, somewhat greenly-veiled grounds of Wisbech Castle.  Never open to the public, it seems, but damned lovely to behold should an opportunity (like this) arise.  I rehearsed in those grounds a long time ago for a production of ROMEO + JULIET.  It gave me little more to do than stand around as an extra, so I didn’t keep my involvement with it for very long.

To my extreme left, I can see some of the splendid buildings that form what I assume is known as The Crescent.  Some beautiful buildings here; must be, what, late 19th/early 20th century?


My Wisbech.

Places?  Well, off the top of my head: Wilderness Walk, St Peter’s Gardens, the Museum wall, the (big) park, the Angles Theatre, this Library, numerous cafes and shops.

My Wisbech is good.

I AM EXISTING FOR DANCE MUSICS RIGHT NOW. 

Later:

‘Strobe Light’ – The B-52s

FROM A DISTANCE, I SAW WENDY MACKINTOSH IN TOWN TODAY.  I DIDN’T HAVE THE GUTS TO TALK TO HER.  THEN I BUMPED INTO NATALIA WNEK.  WE HAVEN’T SPOKEN FOR A WHOLE ACADEMIC YEAR, I DON’T THINK.  SHE PROMISED TO RING ME.

I SAW ASH AS WELL AND A NICE YOUNG GURLY-GOTH WHO’S A FRIEND OF HIS GIRLFRIEND.
[She’s called LUCY WILLIAMS!!! – Ritcherd, 1993]

I ALSO SAW UNA BAKER AND WE TALKED ABOUT GEMMA WINCHESTER.  I STILL RECKON IT WAS GOOD OF GEMMA TO BAKE ME A BIRTHDAY CAKE.  CRIPES, IT’S HARD TO IMAGINE THAT I WENT OUT WITH GEMMA.  SHE’S A NICE GIRL.  A BIT HAUGHTY – BUT NICE.  I REMEMBER WHEN WE ALL WENT TO BARNES-BYSEA; ALL OF US IN A BIG ‘GANG’.  THE SEA, SO MISTY, SO… PINK.  PULLING ME TO IT.  WANTING TO SWALLOW ME WHOLE – AS IF IT WAS IN COMPETITION WITH GEMMA FOR SUPREMACY OVER ME.  AND I NEARLY SUCCUMBED. 

THAT STILL SCARES ME.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘Touched by the Memory of Beatrice Miranda…’

No comments:

Post a Comment