The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 14 May 1990

The End of Frankenstein

‘Life On Mars’ – David Bowie

A hectic day.

Today, I got so angry at certain FRANKENSTEIN cast members attitudes towards their work.  Now Larry’s gone and we’re supervising ourselves, these people no longer give a fuck about the course.  They’d rather spend lesson time in the Common Room, rather than rehearsing the new show I’ve just written.  The lack of willingness to do anything at all is disappointing and depressing.  It’s not like I can order the cast to turn up, is it?


After some ranting and then some crying, I chatted to Donna Davidson about my frustrations.  Since Larry left it’s been an uphill struggle to get anything done within the group.  I told Donna I didn’t want to direct FRANKENSTEIN if no one could be bothered – it would be too stressful and the show would be crap.  Donna persuaded me to go and talk to Mr Williams – our head of department – about it.  I did, and after a long chat, I decided to pull out of the production, taking the script with me.  Williams listened to my reasoning and was sympathetic my views, endorsing my course of action.  He told me he and other staff members had been disappointed to notice an incredible amount of group lethargy since Larry’s departure.

‘Ghetto Heaven’ – The Family Stand

Consequently, Williams decided it would be best if the Performing Arts group now cancelled all notion of any kind of show/tour in favour of a programme of work whereby we start planning a course of action for life after ‘graduation’.  It’s been suggested that if we can we should look for work and try for contracts over the coming two week period, handing in evidence in the form of a report at the end of it.

Donna and I took the opportunity to propose that she and I might go to London and see what we could learn about opportunities there and he was happy for us to pursue that.

I spoke to Larry on the phone.  He was very concerned, but I’ve pacified him.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘Dead Against Me…’

No comments:

Post a Comment