The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Wednesday, 24 January 1990

Wrote For Luck

9.30pm-ish

The Student Union Common Room, NORCAT

‘Stay With Me’ – The Mission

LILITH finally arrived.

She’s been ill the last few days and at last came into Tech, looking every bit as beautiful as she truly is.

She introduced me to one of her friends, Mason (her best at college, I believe) and another guy who knows me from being on the same bus as me (but we really don’t know each other, and I still don’t know his name – actually, neither does Lilith – but I’m pretty sure he’s a mate of Angie Jones).

Anyway, we all chatted.  And I might visit Lilith tonight.  Or will I go to the Tech Disco with Jonny, Amy and Missy after all?!

Later:

TEST OF COMPASSION COSTUME
Following the budget meeting, it has been decided/guaranteed that most of the TOC budget will be spent on costumes, so Donna is going ahead and ringing various other costumiers and theatre companies to see if she can get cheaper quotes than Cambridge Arts Theatre.

Later:

‘Wrote For Luck’ – Happy Mondays

Well, yes, I did go to the Tech Disco.  Amy bought me a ticket – which was very kind and thoughtful – so I went out of courtesy.  After failing to convince Lilith to come along, I got ready – first at Sally Watson’s and finishing off at Jonny’s.  First time I’d seen him in a while as he’s been on a placement in Peterborough that he isn’t enjoying greatly.

Well, at the disco, Amy got drunk as hell and told me she loves me.  She asked me to get off with her and convinced me that it would be a one-off with no emotional fall-out.  I was enjoying her company and she looked lovely so I thought, Why not?  What do we have to lose?  A bit of harmless kissing and dancing and having a laugh couldn’t harm anyone or anything, could it?

So Amy sat on my knee and began to kiss me.  In front of Abby, Lilith’s sister.  And then who should walk in?  Lili herself, with her mate Fliz.  To her credit, Amy could see how difficult this was for me and showed great understanding and sensitivity.  We agreed that maybe this wasn’t the ideal time for us to be getting off with each other.  Which was very sobering.

I went over and spent a great deal of time with Lili, ensuring I wasn’t at all depressing about any talk of her leaving (actually, I took one tiny moment to ‘cheers’ her and tell her she’ll be sadly missed).

At one point, Amy and Lili came face-to-face – thanks to Stan – and engaged in small talk.  When Amy had gone, Lili turned to me and said, ‘So that’s Amy.  She’s been asking people questions about me because of you.  I hope you know she’s hopelessly in love with you?’

Following this, we went over to Ian and co and I shook hands with him.  He looked very relieved.

We all danced to Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The Cure, The Wonder Stuff and a few others.  I also discovered that Fliz is very funny and I like her a lot.

‘Hello’ – The Beloved

Sitting against the wall, Lili told me she was in love with the wind.  I told her I’m in love with the sky (amongst other things).  And then, yet again, I told her that she’s beautiful.

She actually seems to be coming round to me a little more.  As she struck a match for a cigarette, she watched its flame dwindle and said, ‘That’s our friendship.  No, our…’  But she broke off, refusing to continue.  We looked each other deep in the eyes for a long time.  She was very wonderful tonight (wearing a black jumper, black leggings and basketball sneakers – very boy-like).  I said it was sad that she won’t be around for Valentine’s Day, but she merely insisted that I send her a card.

If they had played LOVESONG by The Cure, we would have slow-danced together.  They didn’t; we didn’t.

I said to her: ‘IF EVER THE WORLD TURNS ITS BACK ON YOU OR FRIENDS DESERT YOU, REMEMBER ME AND WRITE TO ME BECAUSE I WON’T DESERT YOU.’

LILITH: ‘THE WORLD ALWAYS TURNS ITS BACK ON ME.  FRIENDS ALWAYS DESERT ME.  THEY ALWAYS DO.’

ME: ‘THEN I’LL EXPECT A LETTER.’

LILITH: ‘YOU’LL GET ONE.’

We will write, though, and she told me that when she is gone her vampire spirit will visit me and bite me in my dreams.  She also said she’s going to record me a tape and give me a photograph of her.  Yes, I’m certain she’s opening up to me now.

So often we were physically very close and I really wanted to kiss her.  And I might be fooling myself, but it seemed as if she was expecting me to.  Although, really, I doubt she was. 

I had to go though.

I hope there’s light at the end of the tunnel.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘Silent spring…’

No comments:

Post a Comment