The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 17 December 1989

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

7.15pm

‘Hark!  The Herald Angels Sing’


But I’m sacred.  Terrified.  Because it doesn’t feel like Christmas no matter what I do.  And I know that’s a cliché – someone says it every year.  But…  Well, not me!  And I NEED it to feel like Christmas; it’s my favourite time of year.  I love it.  I can’t get enough of it.  And I’m scared that 1989 is going to be the first Christmas that I don’t enjoy.

Today, Lucille delivered the holly wreath for the back door.

Tomorrow on TV, there’s the Alistair Sim version of SCROOGE.



I’ve got to see it.  Video it.

It’s the last performance of our pantomime, Strawberry Girl, tomorrow.  That’s sad.  And then we finish Tech on Wednesday.

I’ve nothing planned for Christmas.

Wendy.  I’ll miss her.  I wish I could stay in Cornwall with her.

I could go to Yorkshire, but would Flash be any fun?  And should I spend New Year’s Eve with Jonny and Julian?  What are they planning on doing?

‘It’ll Be Lonely This Christmas’ – Mud

Oh, it’ll be lonely this Christmas.  Lonely and cold.  I could cry.

I love Christmas.  So where is that beautiful atmosphere? 

I hope my family gets home soon.  I’m lonely. 

I want mince pies and cream.  And I want to eat, drink, and be merry.

Where are you, Father Christmas?  Where did you go?  Why did you leave me?  Why do you leave us all?  I pray that Chip still believes in you.

I WANT TO CRY.

Never have I felt so distant from a Christmas, perhaps because I’ve never wanted it to mean quite so much to me.

‘O Christmas Tree’ - Mario Lanza

BUT I DO LOVE ‘HARK!  THE HERALD ANGELS SING’…

This weekend’s been particularly dull, spending it alone.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘New Doctor Who Top Ten…’

No comments:

Post a Comment