The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 13 October 1989

Updates

10.30pm

‘Kerosene’ – Big Black


Coming on well.  Working on expressionistic stuff and visual metaphors.  Actors often difficult.  Larry says I’m taking Berkoff’s ideas a step further, which is a good thing.  Making them my own.



Today we’ve been working on make-up ideas again.  I favour the alienating simplicity of white faces, which we worked on last week, but we experimented with animal faces today.  We’ve got one date so far – at the Barnes Bysea Theatre.  We’ve also had the costumes delivered (vaguely contemporary with the text) from Cambridge.

PANTO
Will and I are still writing, but it’s tonnes better than last year’s.  If only I could work out a decent ending.

OTHER TECH SHITE
Across the whole Drama board, there have been evil rumblings in recent weeks, due to lack of facilities + departmental support.  Often classes have had no rooms and some of the timetabling has been utterly disastrous.  There has also been a marked decline in tutoring.  All of this has been with one exception: Larry Goodgirl, who continues to be excellent and even more focused than ever.



I have been partly coerced and partly self-motivated into becoming the students’ representative to the College administration.  On Monday, I will call a meeting at 1pm of as may Drama students as I can muster and form a panel consisting of a representative from each group (this looks likely to feature Stan, Jodie and Jamie).  I will catalogue all our issues and hopefully by Wednesday, I and the other reps will be able to meet with the Principal and request some swift changes.


The thing that really bugs me at the moment – particularly as we’ve been pretty much evicted from there – is this: if there can be a whole floor dedicated to Art rooms + studios, why can there be no specifically designated Drama hub?

‘I Want That Man’ – Debbie Harry


PARTY, etc.
Can you believe I had to fill Johnny in on most of what went on at my party because he was too drunk to notice much of it?!  Jodie + I chatted about it and agreed it was a funny do.  I often wish Gemma fancied me.  I get on XTRA well with Emma + Sara now.  And Stan’s going out with Sally Watson.

UNITY
Well, we’re trying to get some of that back into the Drama Department.  I think events like my party help this.

PHOTOS
We all had photo-sessions last week.  CV photos taken by the Photography students.  I must collect mine now they’re developed. 



Oh, and I had my holiday photos back and they are so shamingly CRAP.

CHRISTMAS
I may be spending it away with Julian and Johnny.

DRIVING
Congrats on passing your test, Danny Black!


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘At the sign of the Hungry Horse…’

No comments:

Post a Comment