The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 7 July 1989

Happy Storms

IT’S INCREDIBLE.

It’s about 12.20am and, outside, there is an absolutely fantastic STORM!

I can’t see what I’m writing, because the lights are out, but there’s just been a massive load of near-blinding – and I mean that – near-blinding flashes

with ear-shattering

Booms

There seem to be two storms going on at once

The rain is

Torrential

it’s incredible and I love it

Later:

‘All Fired Up’ – Pat Benatar

THE STORM
The storm last nite was incredible.  It lasted about two hours.  Looking across the field over the road, out of our massive lounge window, we had a fantastic view.  Betty and I chatted in the dark and watched it till about 1.30am.  Out, across the field, you’d see ORANGE forked lightning split the middle of the sky + seemingly hit the field.  Cos of cloud cover, when it did, the whole sky lit up with flashes that would blind you momentarily.  Not only this, it seemed a separate storm was going BEHIND our house + when the lightning behind us flashed, you’d see the whole field as totally green, like it was daylight.

Later:

Last nite I dreamed I was at a party with no catering, so we all had to eat stuff from Sainsbury’s in Tupperware tubs.  I managed to smuggle in a can of beans, but no one had a tin opener, so Daniel Abbott opened the can with his finger nails. 

Later:

At work today, I watched the sky.  It started very sunny, then, in the distance the horizon went black, for almost 360 degrees.  Pretty much within 10 seconds the whole sky was black, like a sudden eclipse – there was a moment of eerie stillness, then came wind + rain.  But, for a moment, it felt like the world’s end.

Later:

11.15pm at my Gran’s on Queen’s Park Drive, Airedale, Castleford, W. Yorks.

I miss my friends.  I miss those folks.

GOD O’CRIKEY, I’m so tired because I’ve been working at the lorry yard.  I need sleep.  We’ll speak tomorrow and I will tell you things.

I need sleep.

Oh aye, THE CHINESE PLAY is to be rewritten for my submission to the British Museum/Library thingy.

Later:

I arrived at my Gran’s this evening and have seen Louise and Kev.

Oh aye, Uncle Kev – Louise’s husband – is off on Miriam Stoppard’s WHERE THERE’S LIFE about cancer sufferers, due to his testicular cancer a couple of years back.
  
STARDOM!


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘Classic Flash…’

No comments:

Post a Comment