The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 15 July 1989

A Glimpse of the Wasp (Ciao, Baby)

‘Edie (Ciao Baby)’ – The Cult

Well, today was a success.

I bought BATDANCE 12-inch…



…and the BATMAN LP



…both by PRINCE.

Also, I purchased DW Magazine



…and a STARBURST for its Sylvester McCoy + Sophie Aldred interview.

I’m really pleased that I know SOD ALL about Doctor Who’s new season, starting in September.

That said, I’ve heard the following rumours (some of which seem a little outrageous):
The Master’s back.
Kate Bush is in it.
Hale +Pace are in it.
Nicholas Parsons is in it.
Jean Marsh is back.
One of the stories has Arthurian connections.
One of the stories is set in WWII Yorkshire.
Bessie + the Brigadier are back.

Tonight, I went to the pub and saw Ash + Legs (and their Aussie mates, Mandy, Jenny + co).  They invited me to a party, which was to take place at Blue Water nature reserve.  This was an entire cock-up as Ash, Jenny, Legs, Mandy + Kara were in the lead car + me, Rod Oliver, Angela, Doody + Mooney were in the following car.

Yeah.  We lost them.

By the time we found Blue Water (we were following them for a reason!), they had gone.  On the way back to Wisbech, the police stopped us and all sorts of babber.

Ash’s finished with Jo Jordan + he made love to Wendy Mackintosh before she went back home to St Ives.  He’s also had a letter from Minty.

I bet Flash saw Pet Shop Boys today.  These are my guesses: a) something really Gordonian happened to him, b) something got him really angry (he gets angry a lot these days), c) it was the best thing he’s seen or experienced in his life (the gig, I mean).

Listen.  I need to tell you.  My feelings for her are so strong again.

Walking around town today, I stopped to watch locally-based Swedish metal band ICE AGE film their new video.

Who should I see, swirling along in a black top, dark brown hippie skirt + sandals, but… yes … her.  I saw her and I knew she’d seen me.  Inevitability overtook me and I had to get closer to her.  I made sure I had a deadpan face – and it seemed she was doing the same.  She then gave me a hard look, but I smiled, discarding any pretence.  She caught my smile just as she was turning away, then lifted her head and smiled back.  If I’m right, she was also giving me a slightly embarrassed look that seemed to be asking, ‘Why are we playing this game?’

It’s actually been building in me for a little while now.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘All kinds of love…’

No comments:

Post a Comment