The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 30 July 1989

Catching Up With You

My day began at the cinema, just after midnight.

Doody drove me, Mooney, Angela, Rod and the ace Matty to Peterborough Showcase Cinema.  This was my first visit to the flix in ages + it was astounding.  Apparently the Showcase is one of the largest + most modern cinemas in the country, housing 12 screens under one roof.  As Mooney + Angela went to see DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, the rest of us went to see INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.  The screen was huge: it filled your entire vision + the stereo sound was genuinely and brilliantly stereo.
Image
The film was fantastic (if flawed by some bad continuity) and I’m pretty sure Sean Connery was taking his best ever role.  It was a brilliant film.

I got home at 3am, feeling well-satisfied.

Later:

7pm

‘Smash The Mac’ – Crass

So much to do, so little time.

I’ve had a good weekend.

Well, what can we talk about, then?

THE HOUSING SITUATION part one
My folks are moving out of BLACKBERRY NARROW and selling the two static caravans in the yard.  They want to move – with Chip and Jack – into a really large and nice house near the village church.  If they manage this dream, they’re going to let me stay in the bungalow until they choose to sell it.  I’m glad about all of this.  Glad for them and glad for me.  I hope it all happens fairly soon.

BUSINESS NEWS
Uncle Keith has now got his own garage business.  It’s called ‘KEITH PRITCHARD’ and it’s in Pontefract.

THE HOUSING SITUATION part two
Aunty Vi, Brian, Toyah + Kelly have left their flat in Pontefract and moved into a house that Brian built (not in Pontefract).

TV NEWS
Recent viewing has been:
The Hayley Mills play-wotsit Back Home, which I quite enjoyed…

Remembering Marilyn (a Monroe documentary), which was quite good…

Echoes In The Darkness, which was very good…

The Bill, which has been good…

Plan 9 From Outer Space, just because I really wanted to see it…


Beneath the Planet of the Apes, which was great…



My favourite TV series at the moment is Anything More Would Be Greedy – good stuff.

Oh, and Imogen Stubbs was on Wogan.  She really didn’t do all that much for me, to tell the truth.

MUSIC
The music I listen to most at the moment is stuff by CRASS and CONFLICT.

PHOTOS
I recently ordered some photos from Doctor Who stories The Daleks and The Chase, and they have arrived and are really good.  I want more.

WHAT I’VE BEEN READING Dept.
Well, DOCTOR WHO books mostly, including these:

REVENGE OF THE CYBERMEN by Terrance Dicks.


It was BORING.  So obviously taken from the original script with little embellishment.  The Doctor’s character reads totally incorrectly + not at all like the televised version.

THE NIGHTMARE FAIR by Graham Williams.
GOOD.  Nicely written, but often a bit shallow.  Not really my cup of tea.

THE CHASE by John Peel.
EXCELLENT.  So damned good.  Good continuity + well thought out.

(Next, I’ll be reading ATTACK OF THE CYBERMEN by Eric Saward, and THE WAR MACHINES by Ian Stuart Black)

I’ve also been reading:
The DOCTOR WHO – POWER OF THE DALEKS photonovel by David Whitaker
And…
SO LONG AND THANKS FOR ALL THE FISH by Douglas Adams.  I’ve no idea how many times I’ve read this one, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I’d write more, but I’m tired.

Oh, okay.  Before I go, one more item…

ILLNESS
Betty’s ill, yet again, with the ‘women’s problems’ that used to ail her some years back.


[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and almost always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


Next time: ‘The AIDS generation…’

No comments:

Post a Comment