The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 25 June 1989

'Rocky Horror' at Gorleston Pavilion Theatre


‘Blackman’ – Hazel O’Connor



 

Since I’ve been working on the ‘new’ ROCKY HORROR as Stage Manager, I’ve kind of seen through it.  I’m not keen on Daniel Abbott’s work as a director, but ne’er mind, eh?  As a producer he is BRILLIANT.  As projects go, I think it really suited him because it’s less of an artistic challenge (Richard O’Brien’s done all the work already) and more of a logistical one.  What I mean is, the project was very much suited to someone of Daniel’s INCREDIBLE logistical and technical talents. 

 

To put in some personal perspective, there’s no way I could have produced it. 

 

No way. 

 

So Daniel must be praised accordingly – he really has got what it takes to put big shows on.  I’m very impressed from that angle.  Very impressed indeed.

 

We did R.H. today at the Pavilion Theatre in the seaside town of Gorleston, close to Gt Yarmouth.  The audience was fantastically receptive.  As it was my first proper SM job, I was scared, mostly due to having had very little time in the Technical Run to get myself together.  Sound rigging went over time and I had no assistant.  But one of the guys who works at the Pavilion helped me with the tabs + the lights.  Oh, and Rita did some calling for me in the second half.

 

The general set-up was pretty scary, though, with two sets of changing rooms – one at each end of the underside of the theatre – so calling was difficult as I had to go through the on-stage crossover to do so.  So, when we did the show, I was pretty much doing it from cold – and it went absolutely perfectly, and I’m very proud of myself.

 

I wanted to support and help Daniel, really.  I didn’t HAVE to do it; I’m not actually being assessed on ROCKY HORROR, so it was a pleasure to help him out.

 

Jodie was good as the new ‘Columbia’, by the way. 

 

That said, it’s probably good that this was the last show because, over all, it’s not as good as it was at KLCA.  It’s dying a bit of a death, performance-wise.  Still, it was very entertaining – and god, wasn’t it great joining the others on stage to dance the Time Warp?  Ron Johnson even got his phwadger out!

 

BUT LESS OF THIS…

 

Later:

 

Well, today was good, doing R.H.  It was also an excellent opportunity for Julian Ward and me to talk at length.  Really good.  The animosity he, Jonny + I have felt towards Nigel Cameron has been quite incredible. 

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Traffik…’

No comments:

Post a Comment