The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 17 February 1989

Chasing Spock


2.30pm

ON THE BUS

 

‘The Sound of the Atom Splitting’ – Pet Shop Boys



 

LAST WEEK, I SAID A QUICK ‘HI’ TO SPOCK AND NOW I’M SURE HE’S ON THIS BUS BUT WITHOUT THE STARFLEET UNIFORM OR THE EARS.  IS IT HIM?

 

I CAN’T SEE PAST ALL THOSE BLOODY KIDS!!!

 

Later:

3.15pm

Giles Bacon’s House
Waiting for a lift to Flash's in Yorkshire

 

‘Fear of the World’ – ABC



 

I sat on the bus as calm as you like on the back seat.  But at the front, there was a mirror wherein I spied the familiar features of what seemed to be Spock.  But was it?  He had a hat on and a big black overcoat, not his usually garb, so I couldn’t quite tell.  Just before WISBECH, up he stood, fastened his coat + lit a cigarette!  Then he seemed to just stare into the mirror, back down the bus – at me.

 

WISBECH ARRIVED and off he stepped with a single lingering stare.  He trod off at quite a lick and I followed.  He quickened his pace even more and I recognised his trousers and boots.  Once he’d rounded a corner, he obviously set off at a trot, because by the time I’d made it round there was no-one ahead of me – NOTHING; gone; evaporated.

 


 

I stood, wondering to myself, but then it turned out he’d popped into the cleaners for some clothing.  I watched him from across the road; observing his every movement reflected in a shop window.  I felt like a spy.  When he sensed my presence he ran into the CO-OP, and what followed was an insane game of hide + seek through the aisles.  When I eventually found him, he backed himself into the beans, quivering and rambling, ‘They haven’t found me … yet … and as a servant of Her Majesty’s government I would ask that you leave me alone and never speak of this…’

 

‘Only if you visit next weekend,’ I prompted.  He agreed to my suggestion, so I left him in peace feeling rather bewildered.

 

SHOCKS + HORRORS!  Someone was axed to death on Donna Davidson’s doorstep last nite.  EEURGH!  YAKKY!

 

I got a CREDIT for my Pantomime work (to remind you, Macbeth got me a Credit for Set and a Distinction for Performance; The Chinese Play got me a Distinction; Dance got me a Distinction – ACKER!).

 

Later:

 

‘Number 6’ – Taboo



 

Today was sad.  I saw Emma only briefly + I’ll miss her.

 

We all sang ‘HAPPY BIRTHDAY’ to Larry, after which, Jonny, Simon + I went to CROFTERS where Simon bought us all tea.  Cheers, Simon, you lovely laddo.

 

Also, since HOLIDAY ’89 did a feature on PORTMEIRION there’s been a lot big interest in THE PRISONER at college.  A room for four costs £210 a week and we’ve been chatting and thinking maybe eight of us could go there for a holiday.

 

WHO?

RITCHERD, EMMA, DANNY, ASTRA, JULIAN, SIMON, FLASH, and RAQUEL?

 

Let’s go, kids.  That is if you’re all enthusiastic about it.  What do you say, Flash?

 

Heigh-ho.  Soon be at Flash’s.  Our fifth year begins.

 

SKILLAFOOMHACKAAARGH!!!

 

STUNNING NEWS?

Tula Tuke, Make-Up teacher, used to be on the make-up team for Doctor Who.  ACE, EH?  She was telling me today that back in the ‘60s she worked with William Hartnell on an adventure in which she had to make up loads of AZTECS!  GOOLOOMOOLOO!



 

I now have videos of The Chinese Play and The Day Pantomime Ended – they will now be classed as ‘official’ Situation releases.

 

Later:

 

‘Something In My House (Flamenco)’ – Dead Or Alive



 

The Make-Up lessons are really only partially effective or useful.  They are so badly organised, with no real purpose or objective.  Tula is nice and very experienced, but we’re not even being assessed on this aspect of the course.  I’m worried that it’s a waste of useful time.

 

This afternoon, in conversation with Simon Lewis, I decided I will become BERWIN GROOMSTOOL all day on COMIC RELIEF DAY, for charity.  Simon has agreed to do the rather complicated make-up – with prosthetics – for the day.  We’re hoping to make it hideously realistic.

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘February Females…’

No comments:

Post a Comment