The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 8 January 1989

Imminent Apocalypse


THE EVENING OF THE EIGHTH

 

DEAR DIARY, IT’S:

a quarter past six.

 

‘Oh To Be In Love’ – Kate Bush



 

This really is 1989.

 

Is this the truth?  The final truth?  Is it true that the world might end this year or some time early the next?  Apparently Nostradamus predicted it would.  And we all thought he’d been wrong about that major earthquake last May.  Armenia may have been a little late, but still the earth served us up a little platter of tragedy.

 

The Libyans and the Americans are pretty much walking each other to the grave; doing their best to bury each other in wormy soil.  Have they started something they can’t finish?  I wondered the same thing two years ago, when Flash and I panicked (needlessly) over their conflicts.  Now?  I don’t know.  I don’t think I’m as worried by these things any more, just distracted.  For me, happiness reigns.  By which, I just want to be happy and optimistic and have faith in the fact that we’re not stupid enough to destroy ourselves.

 

Oh, Flash.  Where are you?  Where are you all, dear friends?  Cirencester seems far away and ages ago now.  I found it to be a beautiful place to be; my heart felt safe there, among my friends.

 

Later:

 

‘8891 Royale’ – Keff McCulloch



 

Donna’s letter still has not arrived.  She sent it days ago.  I’ll probably receive it tomorrow evening, by which time I shall have seen her again.  Never mind.

 

Later:

 

‘Red Guitar’ – David Sylvian



 

My excitement over the new college term is growing within my mind.  I am looking forward to returning to some hard work (something I wanted to avoid when I did A-levels).

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Lists and ratings…’

No comments:

Post a Comment