The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Saturday, 7 January 1989

Goodbye, Desire


‘Four Letter Word’ – Kim Wilde



 

Today was far nicer than yesterday, and a lot of things seem to be looming large in my mind.

 

I ventured into Wisbech and purchased BABY FORD’s ‘CHIKKI CHIKKI AHH AHH’ 12-inch.


 

I then saw Dark Is Desire band-mate Dan Berry, who has unfortunately been fined £200 for drunk cycling and has had to sell his amplifier to cover the cost and give up the rental on the Tower rehearsal room.  All of which means DARK IS DESIRE are finished.

 

Am I sad about this?

 

Well, I couldn’t really afford to be in the band, could I?  And I did live without before I had it.  So never mind.

 

In WOOLWORTHS I spied an old acquaintance, the waitress I found myself attracted to in ANDREW’S all that time ago: Lisa Oakwood.  She is the image of beauty and, as I recall, used to put me in mind of a blonde Kate Bush.  We saw each other in the same instant – though, for much of that instant, neither of us fully realised who the other was (she has a new bobbed hair-style).  We then, simultaneously, double-took, then looked away, a glimmer of realisation on both our faces, I’m guessing.  I looked up again, to instantly see her turning away from an attempt at waving ‘hello’ to me and walking off.  I lost her in the shop and then felt quite sad.  Deprived of something.  Partially empty.  Why?

 

In SMITHS, I purchased an issue of STARBURST, for the DOCTOR WHO feature.  This went into a bag which contained a file and some paper, purchased from WOOLWORTHS.

 

In BACCHALLY’S, I spoke briefly to Natalia, but felt so nerve-wracked and uncomfortable.  I’m lost for words now whenever we speak.  My mind is full of conversation, but my tongue just disintegrates. 

 

The girl who sold me the pens in POYSER’S is incredibly pretty and her long black hair is simply beauteous.

 

‘Them Heavy People’ – Kate Bush



 

Flash communicated.  He is well and, like me, identifies strongly and strangely with 1985 + 1986 at the moment.  Coinicidental.  Flash and Ritcherd stroll on.  I wish him the greatest of hopes for his time with Raquel.  I hope it all works out.

 

Happiness and beauty must reign.

 

Is ‘she’ close?  Is ‘she’ near me now?

 

Here’s a hope for truth in the new day.

 

Farewell, dear diary.

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Imminent Apocalypse…’

No comments:

Post a Comment