The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 24 January 1989

Didn't Think We Were Dicks


‘Oochy Koochy (Remix)’ – Baby Ford



 

Dear diary,

 

 

WOW!  THIS HAIRCUT!  MY FACE!  I NEVER REALISED I HAD SUCH AN AMAZING FACE!

 

Later:

 

‘Crow and A Baby’ – The Human League



 

The Performing Arts course is falling apart.  I can feel a really bad inter-group tension building.  It’s lots of things, ROCKY HORROR for a start.  Jodie Ratcliffe + Daniel Abbott are intending to direct a production of it.  It’s not really my cup of tea, but when I chatted to Jodie about it, telling her it sounded like a fun project; refreshing after all our ‘drama’…  Well, I offered my help should she need anything – whether that meant acting or doing make-up, or anything at all – but she was very tight.  Never seen her so full of herself, in fact.  And it was very clear she didn’t want to be open about it, acting very secretive and telling me (in so many words) that it’s none of my business.  What a horrible attitude to have.  I thought we were all friends?  I thought we were all just students doing the same course together?  I didn’t think we were dicks.  I mentioned that we ought to liaise with each other on the timings of their potentially exhaustive auditions as they could – it seems – clash with the extensive rehearsal schedule for THE CHINESE PLAY.  What was most galling was that she seemed to interpret my concerns over a dwindling cast as me nudging for a part and told me not to crawl to her!  How rude is that?  I don’t even like the bloody thing.  I didn’t realise she was like that.  I was only being kind; I’ve got enough to do as it is, given my Chinese Play workload.    She treated me like I was Satan or something.  It was obvious Ms Ratcliffe didn’t think much of me, given her tone when she told me ‘There’ll be a notice up about Rocky auditions at the end of the week.’

 

This afternoon, Jonny + Kat disappeared for ages.  Auditioning for ROCKY, I discovered!  Fair enough, but: favouritism, anyone?  Saying one thing and then doing another is a very unprofessional way to work.  Donna is convinced Jonny has already been chosen to play ‘Rocky’ and that Kat (who can’t act) will be ‘Magenta’.  She also thinks Jodie has already bagged the role of ‘Columbia’ for herself.  I get the feeling there won’t be much ‘interpretation’ in this production, just a slavish re-hash of the film.  I wonder where they’ll get the music from?

 

‘Delicate Cutters’ – Throwing Muses



 

Kat’s a little unpopular with me + Donna at the moment.  Why?

 

Me: ‘See you at the Chinese rehearsal, Kat.’

Kat: ‘Oh fuck, not another one?  I wanted to go down town.’

 

Baad attitude, Hill.  Baaad!

 

She’s also angry that in Blood Wedding, Charley will have to kiss Jonny.

 

Kat, you’ve just got to get used to it…

 

But seriously, can any of us really imagine Kat tidying up her goth/crusty image in order to become an actress?  Can we imagine her dressing in ordinary clothes for ordinary roles?  Playing ordinary people with ordinary hair?  Can we even imagine her taking direction well?  With her attitude? 

BOLLOCKS!

 

Later:

 

‘Dreams of Reason’ – Mick Karn



 

Tonite, I visited Tina Montgomery + her TRIANGLIA class.  I spent much of the time advertising THE CHINESE PLAY and then getting drunk in the Angles Theatre bar with Bella Murphy.  

 





 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character ‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Lack of commitment…’

No comments:

Post a Comment