The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 13 December 1988

The New Olivier


BTEC NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN PERFORMING ARTS DECEMBER 1988

Tutorials and next term’s preparation projects.

 
'The Model' - Kraftwerk 



 
This morning we had Personal Tutorials from Larry.

 

PERSONAL TUTORIALS

 

POINTS MADE:

 

All my tutors are impressed with my work and have high expectations of what I will achieve in the future.

 

I was congratulated on my 100% commitment to the course.

 

Larry says he can tell I’m throwing myself into the course because I love it, not just because I feel obliged to.  He wants me to take THE CHINESE PLAY to the top – or at least as far as it will go!  He was extremely praising of me and very chuffed. 

 

‘I’ll write and tell your mum you’re the best thing since Larry Olivier – the next Ken Branagh…’

 

I’m so chuffed.

 

In the afternoon, Donna Davidson and I worked on our last project of the term, a very ‘limited-for-time’ Contemporary Dance piece for Scarlett Kane’s Dance Class.  The piece of music we used was my current favourite, ‘Can You Believe Everything I See’ by Alan Rankine, which my Dad taped me.  We spent only an hour, devising a piece around the ‘lyrics’ (in fact sampled quotes from a film called BODY HEAT).

 

We felt the words suggested mystery and dual personality, so we called the piece Beauty and the Beast, taking no little inspiration from Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.  However, the twist in our piece is very horror film in that Beauty is also the Beast.  When her inner Beast emerges, she must destroy the man she loves.  It’s working well.

lightning arrows and a splashy fwok

 

I avoided Justine again today. 

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘A Distinction for Dance…’

No comments:

Post a Comment