The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 10 November 1988

Writing the Pantomime


11.10pm.

 

‘White Light White Heat’ – David Bowie



 

Justine’s had a shit day.  At her Nan’s today, she bore witness to the poor woman suffering a brain haemorrhage.  I felt so sorry + sad for her.  And her Nan.

 

I began work on writing the BTEC panto this afternoon.  I decided that, as I have a certain loathing for Panto (inherent in me since childhood), I needed some assistance.  I asked for the help of someone with professional theatre experience: fellow BTEC student William Daniels.  Will is the Assistant Stage Manager at BARNES BYSEA THEATRE and has some knowledge of Panto structure, techniques and conventions. 

 

It has been arranged that the Pantomime, when completed, will also be performed at the CHILDREN IN NEED benefit at THE BARNES BYSEA THEATRE.  And I am to play Berwin Groomstool. 

 


 

I am also to create – with a team – a video of the Indian Kathakali Dance Troupe; do my dance research; and write a play with Tracey Joyce.

 

My No.1: ‘Love Is All That Matters’ – The Human League



 

The BTEC Performing Arts group has also been invited to attend the upcoming College Awards Evening, wherein the recipient of the 1988 Drama Prize (from last year’s Drama groups) will receive their award.  None of us know who this is going to be.

 

Who will receive the 1988 Drama Prize on Prize-giving Day?  Larry led us to believe it could be someone from last year’s TS2 – my old group.  This person doesn’t know who they are, but Larry says it’s going to ‘the person who contributed the most creative ideas’.  Many people think it will be me – but I think it will be Tracey Joyce, who got a ‘Credit’ for her O-level work.  And…

 

Well.  I’ve received a letter tonite, requesting my presence at Prize-giving.  I wonder who’ll get it?  Apparently, Stephen Fry (who lives locally and used to go to NORCAT) is handing out the prizes.

 

QUESTION: Who, from the BTEC Performing Arts Group, has received a ‘Distinction’ for their MACBETH work?  Kat Hill?  Tracey Joyce?  Or, more likely: Jodie Ratcliffe?  Jonny Badcock?  Will Daniels?

 

Wish they’d tell us soon…

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘A spanking good time…’

No comments:

Post a Comment