The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 14 November 1988

Making Up with Kat


‘Election Day’ – Arcadia



 

Today, Larry Goodgirl hinted heavily that I had won the 1988 Drama Prize.  ULP!  I’m dead excited.  I hope I have.  It’d be lovely!

 

The pantomime was furthered and I felt so close to all the Drama people at Tech.  It has been decided that I alone will direct the production, as well as playing Berwin Groomstool.  Will will assist me with conventions + techniques.

 

THE CASTING IS AS FOLLOWS:

 

DAME DISHUP:                                

Will Daniels, for his experience in such roles.

 

DOROTHY:                        

Lee-Anne Jones, perfect to play a young girl/audience identification figure

 

PRINCE CHARMING:    

Trudy Paul, because she’s tall and pretty and this will be a challenge for her.

 

BERWIN GROOMSTOOL:           

Ritcherd J Winterfood, because I know him best.

 

THE WIZARD:                 

Kenneth Farnham, because he’s just like The Magician in Puddle Lane.

 

PUSS IN BOOTS:              

(How I wish!) Sharon Fielding, because of her dance abilities (feline).

 

THE BAD WOLF:            

Darren Marsh, for his size and ‘presence’.

 

CAPT. HOOK:                   

Jonny Badcock, to test him (like Trudy) and go against type (his clean-cut image)

 

THE EVIL QUEEN:        

Kat Hill, for her looks and her ability to create an awesome presence.

 

ALADDIN:                          

Tracey Joyce, because there’s something ‘vaguely’ ‘Oriental’ about her ‘looks’.

 

TINKERBELL:                 

Jodie Ratcliffe, because she’s ‘bigger built’ than you might expect from a fairy.  Irony.

 

THE GENIE                       

Donna Davidson, for her jolly, rotund features.

 

Admittedly, the amount of characters was devised solely because we felt it imperative to give all Performing Arts students a role (except Daniel Abbott, who is here as a Technician and Jolene Morse who Larry has elected to be Stage Manager), be it big or small, especially as many of them hadn’t had the opportunity to shine during Macbeth.  I didn’t audition them, but simply took the risk of assigning the roles, using the most suitable people for the parts in question, and deliberately going against ‘type’ to test some people – particularly Jonny Badcock and Trudy Paul who will be no doubt doomed to play juvenile leads for the next two years.  The fact that the precise number of roles is certainly contrived might prove to be a hindrance (and in no way reflects the amount of people you would really have in such a touring show).  I imagine the staging will be difficult and we’ll probably have a final sequence where there are too many people on stage at once, but this is unavoidable – and integral to the plot!  We are also to be assisted by Jane Thorne, a local woman whose son played a child in Macbeth.  She will be putting together the costumes.

 

‘Blue Monday ‘88’ – New Order



 

I went back to Donna Davidson’s place for tea with Kat Hill.  The first time Kat and I have been this ‘alone’ in ages, and I must admit I felt a wonderful fondness for her.  It was good for us, and I really like Donna.  We ate a Chilli Con Carne with Spaghetti, which was gorgey.

 

It did start to feel weird though, as suddenly Kat and I ended up talking about ‘our summer’, telling Donna all about what went on.  This just brought home some of the feelings of the time, like when Kat came and stayed and all I could think was, ‘One day she’ll go back to Willock – so what’s the point of all this?’  I thought of my sudden lack of commitment to the whole thing, brought about by Willock’s never-ending phone calls, pleading with me to give him his girl back; it was so harrowing at the time.  Of course, when I started thinking of BMW a lot, that helped me slowly ease away from Kat, allowing us both to find a freedom that only a few weeks before we would never have agreed to wanting: me with BMW and her with Willock – our ‘true’ loves (or so it had seemed).  Willock deserved Kat far more than I, and I genuinely couldn’t bear to see him in that state.  Not that I did, but I could hear it in his voice.  He was so sad.  And I always wanted BMW so much more than anyone else.  Staying with Kat just seemed like too much hassle, if I’m honest, and I wasn’t going to invest in a pointless future.

 

Until today, I’ve generally been unable to talk to Kat – and I was the one who convinced her to do this course – it’s just been so hard.  She’s probably never forgiven me for asking her to dye her hair blonde and style it like Marilyn Monroe’s.

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘A letter from Donna…’

No comments:

Post a Comment