The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Wednesday, 9 November 1988

Life After Macbeth


11.55pm  

 

‘Wishing Well’ – Terence Trent D’Arby



 

Today, Larry told us that all but two of us had passed the Macbeth Project + Assessments.  I passed, but I dunno what my grade is yet.

 

Things are still moving and growing in BTEC, and we are all beginning to discover that the work isn’t going to slow down or stop pouring in just because Macbeth is finished.

 

Tracey Joyce and I have been interviewing ERIC PETERS, a man who travelled across the Atlantic in a barrel.  This is for a new Play Writing and Direction assignment that should come to fruition next February.  We have chosen an option that requires us to ‘write a play based on true life events’.  BTEC tutor, Mr Larry Goodgirl has, of late, been almost constantly pestered by the record-breaking Mr Peters, who would like to see his story given a more prominent local platform.  Mr Peters is now a rather sorry down-and-outer, travelling around the country, unwashed + unkempt.  He’s looking for friends to hang onto, I guess.

 

My partner in crime, Tracey Joyce has joined me on this project, because like me she is not interested in being involved in the other option, which is a Fashion Show (which all the other Performing Arts students have chosen to be involved in).

 

Tracey and I have been interviewing Mr Peters over the last two weeks, learning various things about his infamous trip across the Atlantic in nothing but a modified barrel.  Throughout these interviews he has struck us both as decidedly strange.  Also, he likes to give us the facts, straight up and as they were, but never reveals his true self or gives us enough background on which to build the foundations of a production.  Many things seem to have been hidden and what is revealed seems almost deliberately obscure.  On top of this, his slow deliberation in recounting his story has left us both very nonplussed, and I’m slowly losing interest in the man and his seafaring tale. 

 

‘I Love You Too Much’ – The Human League



 

I’m also working on a ‘touring’ Panto with the rest of BTEC.  I am writing the script, and I will be incorporating Berwin Groomstool as the Panto Villain.  The fact that I dislike Pantomime means that this disturbs me, but as it is the first BTEC-only show, I am feeling inspired.  

 

On top of all this, for Dance, me ‘n’ Jonny Badcock have to research the history of London Contemporary Dance Theatre.  Plus, Kat Hill, Donna Davidson + I have to make a video about the Kathakali Dance Troupe from India, who are visiting King’s Lynn soon.

 

There is life after Macbeth

 

Justine doesn’t trust my fidelity, and I so love her.  I am crazy about her.

 

Oh, I do love her.

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Writing the pantomime…’

No comments:

Post a Comment