The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 17 October 1988

Jonny Badcock


‘Hey! Jayne Mansfield’ – Sigue Sigue Sputnik



 

Today was boomafookbiffbangbanganing!

 

On arriving in College, Larry reported to me that Bircham Newton would be erecting the outdoor stage that morning and why wasn’t I prepared!  I was dismayed, as I’d arranged with them to be there tomorrow.  I ran around the like a blue-arsed fly until Bircham Newton scaffolders told us they’d be in to help us out tomorrow.  It turned out that my dates were correct and Chris had got his wires somewhat crossed – not only throwing me, but Lighting + Stage Management.  [I’ve a lot of pressure! – Larry Goodgirl, late 1988]

 

I also spoke with Bircham Newton about the indoor scaffolding set, but they sounded doubtful as to whether or not they could cope with this request at such short notice.  Ultimately, Carl and I negotiated a ‘zip-scaffolding’ tower from the College BRICKWORK DEPARTMENT, who lent us a trolley with which to transport it to the Foyer, from where we had to carry it by hand to a covered section of the College Theatre floor at the behest of the Caretakers.

 

Larry Goodgirl took my WITCHCRAFT research and copy (which he found informative) to use in the programme.  Needless to say, this has inspired me with a little more confidence in my abilities.

 

‘Right By Your Side’ – Eurythmics



 

This afternoon we went out to the SKODA plant and helped some of our group – along with BACKYARD DANCE THEATRE – take some dance to the workers on the factory floor (!).  Frankly, it was a bit of a flop, but it was down to Jonny Badcock + myself to collect comments from the WUHKUS!  And we had an absolutely hilarious piss-taking time in doing so.  We were in stitches and I think we just really make each other laugh.  It’s quite crazy and quite exceptional.  I was so wary of him at first, because he’s a bit of a casual and you don’t usually expect them to be so nice, but he’s great.  I really like him and we had such a funny time.

 

‘Cool Blue’ – Eurythmics



 

Also got talking, really well, to the ‘photo-goths’, who aren’t really Goths, but until today I didn’t know their names.  Well, they are Clarissa Naylor (the exceptionally pretty little one) and Imogen (the tall, skinny Siouxsie type), and they are really nice, especially Clarissa.  We’ve spoken a couple of times before, but we had a much longer chat today.  Clarissa is a wonderful personality, and a very beautiful second generation Italian, with naturally curly, long dark hair + lovely olive skin.  She has a look of mystery about her and it’s really delightful.  Imagine how pleased I was when Leighton told me she ‘fancies’ me?

 

BUT DOES SHE?  CAN I BELIEVE HIM?  HE + I HAVE SUCH A VAGUE, ILL-DEFINED ‘RELATIONSHIP’!

 

What numbed me was when, in a later conversation, Clarissa told me that Penny (the girl I chatted to at the disco), with whom she lodges, ‘fancies’ me – like crazy.  I was, of course, flattered, but this got me thinking that perhaps Clarissa doesn’t like me all that much at all.  I mean, she’s gorgeous, but I’d never even dare consider ‘fancying’ her or ‘going out with’ her, because of her extreme beauty.

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘The scaffolding goes up…’

No comments:

Post a Comment