The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Friday, 28 October 1988

Macbeth: Dress Run


LATE AT NITE.

IN THE SPARE BEDROOM OF 118 QPD.

 

‘We Call It Acieed’ – D Mob



 

Remembrance Of The Daleks was a classic. 


Loved it.

 

…acid, man…

 

TODAY THEN – WHAT’S GOIN’ DOWN IN AAACCCIEED CITY?

 

I got to tech at 8.30am and chatted briefly to Justine in a vague type of way, as Suz was listening.  Nothing of our ‘situation’ was mentioned, but loving, knowing looks were exchanged between us.  This was all happening to the jukebox tune of ‘We Call It Acieed!’ by D Mob.

 

AACCCIEEED!

 

At 8.45am, I reported to the Make-Up Department with other members of the cast, where Simon Lewis applied a whole range of bloody body make up to my chest and ribs (for when my cadaver is ‘reanimated’), which was then cleverly covered by my KING DUNCAN costume.

 

‘It’s No Game No.1’ – David Bowie



 

At 10am, I strolled into The Walks, to the stage at the Red Mount Chapel, with Josh Wilde who plays BANQUO.  We discussed Macbeth and the recent publicity thrust upon us by a somewhat religiously fanatical section of West Norfolk society who, as born again Baptists (or something) recently put down + slammed our unperformed production on Radio Norfolk this week, saying that by performing a ‘cursed play about witches’ on Hallows Eve and on ‘consecrated ground’, we would evoke evil spirits.

 

I cry ‘AR YA DÜ’.

 

Good publicity for us, though.

 

‘Up The Hill Backwards’ – David Bowie


 

Oh, and at last, Dorrie’s banners are complete!

 

At 10.30am, we began a slow run-through of the play, using the scaffold stage that I designed, for the very first time.  The inside of the Chapel (our ‘backstage’) is Remarzing.  Also, the professional attitude of our 70-strong cast and (mostly) crew is tremendous.

 

I almost froze to death when I played the corpse in a ripped shirt during Act III – it was significantly different to the warmth of my cloak in Act I.

 

The dancing apparitions are skill!  I had to say that!

 

‘I’ll House You’ – The Jungle Brothers



 

At 12.45pm, we stopped for lunch at the end of Act III, and I returned to Tech, ripped + bespattered with ‘blood’.  I sat in the S.U. Office with Bianca White (gosh, we used to be in the same ‘gang’ in the old days, didn’t we?) and we chatted for a bit, until Laura Goldwyn (as Hecate, who in this version‘re-animates’ my cadaver) burst in to tell us that Yorkshire TV were in The Walks to film us, so we rushed back after a 15 minute lunch, in Laura’s car.

 

For the frightening YTV and regional press coverage, we performed the dance of the apparitions, with my dumb-looking corpse ‘watching’ on.  I’m sure it’ll be dead embarrassing when it’s on Calendar on Monday nite.  I bet I look gormless.

 

My bits were all done by 2pm, and Larry Goodgirl decided there’d be no Sunday rehearsal, so I rang Betty + arranged to come to Castleford by getting a lift with Giles Bacon.

 

So here I am.

 

I’ll see Flash tomorrow.  BOMBAFOOKACKA.

 

‘Acid Man’ – Jolly Roger



 

Oh aye!  Guess who’s organising all the Rag Week entertainments this year – including The Rag Revue – just cos he’s a good pal of the S.U.?  Aye.  Me!  HAR-HAR!  I’ll get Ben Fletcher to help me…

 

I miss Justine.  I wish I’d seen more of her later today.  We exchanged some loving looks when we saw each other briefly in corridors, etc.  But I am crazy for her.  I wish I could see her more.  What will she say to my letters?

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Who’s this silly bastard?’

No comments:

Post a Comment