The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 7 August 1988

Heatwave


‘Heatwave’ – Marilyn Monroe



 

A gorgeous sunny day.

 

DARK iS DESiRE

 

…OR ‘THE THREE GODS’ (HO-HO!)

 

Flowers, dogs and birds…

 

Aladdin Sane – complete with bolts through neck – squeezes hard on his tumescent member and grimaces as the ectoplasmic GLOOOP (!) makes free with aerodynamics…

 

AND TO CAP IT ALL: ‘We’re having a heatwave…’

 

[aciiiieed!  aciiiiieed! – Slightly Future Ritch]

 

Later:

THE AFTERNOON

 

‘Some Like It Hot’ – Marilyn Monroe



 

Sitting on the lawn has never been so pleasant.  The heat is tremendous.  In fact, the last two or three days have been something of a surprise as far as the weather is concerned.

 

Danyel ‘Flash’ Gordon, my greatest companion, is still present at BLACKBERRY NARROW, just one of its ever-growing entourage. 

 

He’s leaving today, sadly…

 

‘Let’s Get Brutal’ – Nitro Deluxe



 

Two and a half weeks he’s been here.  Immensely long moments in Gordon/Winterfood history.  There have been both lively and dull moments during his latest visit.  And I suppose it’s been rather fun…

 

THE PROBLEMS?

Space.  My room, as it goes, is far too small for me as it is.  And, well, to tell the truth, a lot of the time I have felt that Flash was something of an intruder in that space.  Someone a bit too much underfoot.  It pissed me off a lot of the time.  But I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

 

And he’s been really supportive and kind throughout Kat and Willock’s split, fielding calls from a distraught Willock so Kat and I could be together and make love in peace.  Hah!

 

Flash and I seem to have changed and grown over the years, moving along together and diverging at remote and random tangents, then, more often than not, joining up again on the same track.  But its only been on this occasion that I’ve found Flash both exciting me as a stimulating peer but also irritating me with his very different attitude to things.  Notably, and I suppose minutely, I have not enjoyed what appears to be his underlying SUPERIORITY COMPLEX, that seems, in conversation, to suggest that he is often thinking ‘WELL I’D DO THIS – AND SHOULD ALL OTHERS’, which is unpleasant if you are in opposition to what he’s saying.  Perhaps it goes back to his junior school days + his somewhat sheltered + programmed upbringing?  It also strikes me that he is not totally adjusted to the real world yet.  Which means a lot, coming from a dreamer like me.  But it does seem that way.  Still, he has readily admitted to having a lack of experience in communicating with people from diverse backgrounds.  But he’ll grow into it all, I suppose.  He’ll learn to judge and accept the people he’s speaking to for what they are and co-operate with their difference to him.  I guess I just see this cos I’m older than him…

 

But he’s a nice lad and I think we like each other. 

 

Right now, he’s just jumped back a mile, away from a disinterested bee.  My friend Flash, eh?

 

When he’s gone, I’ll be able to tidy my room at last.  Make it comfortable and nice.  There’s just no room to keep it straight when one has guests.  And I get everything out to show ‘em, and after a day’s work I just can’t be bothered with menial tidying up, but tonite it will be mine.  It will be mine to swim in freely and safely, at my own pace.  From tonite, my own wishes shall govern what I do with that room…

 

It’s been nice, though, Flash, and I hope we are even greater friends as a result.  It’s the longest we’ve been together for ages and ages.

 

‘Safe In My Garden’ - The Mamas & the Papas



 

THE LAZY HEATWAVE FROM YESTERDAY IS STILL HERE.

 

FLASH CAN’T BE BOTHERED TO DO ANYTHING…

 

DOCTOR WHO BOOKS I HAVE READ IN THE LAST FEW DAYS:

 

The Horns Of Nimon by TERRANCE DICKS


 


 

 





 

And I am about to start Time-Flight by PETER GRIMWADE.


 

Later:

LATE IN THE EVENING – 8PM-ISH…

 

‘You’d Be Surprised’ – Marilyn Monroe



 

I want to see THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH

 


 

Later:

 

‘That Old Black Magic’ – Marilyn Monroe


Marilyn Monroe: 1988

 


 

 

SCORN?

 

Later:

 

ROK

DA

HOUSE

 

Flash’s given me MANDA JONES’s address.  She, like Kat Hill, lives in a house called ‘The Firs’.  But this one’s on MILL HILL LANE in PONTEFRACT.

 

‘Shake (How About A Sample, Gene?) – Gene & Jim



 

A big round head, with a neat hat of hair, stern, stubbly jaw, and big, blue crying eyes…

 

Flash writes:

 

I’m going now…

goodbye!

 

sob…

sob…

sob…

sniffle…

 

ooh-oh!

ooh-ooh!

ooh-ooh!

ooh-oo!

oo-oo-ooh

 

 

Later:

DEAD LATE, after THE FLY


 

And Flash has gone.  I’ll really miss him.  I’ve never felt so sad after such a parting.  He’s become part of the fixtures and fittings.

 

‘Runnin’ Wild’ – Marilyn Monroe



 

I love Flash more than ever.  Often, we’ll see eye to nose, I s’pose, but I love him immensely.  He’s the greatest friend a man could desire.  He’s exceptional.

 

And now I’m…

ALL ALONE AND RUNNIN’ WILD!

 

But no, I still have my Kat Hill.

And Magnificent Marilyn.

 

‘My Heart Belongs To Daddy’ – Marilyn Monroe



 

Have a safe journey home, Flash.

 

BACK TO WARK SOON…

…but a good time was had by all.

 

SAD IT’S ALL OVER.

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Life after Flash…’

No comments:

Post a Comment