The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 23 August 1988

Graveyard Lovers


In the Park, Miranda and I talked and kissed a great deal, then made love.  I reached home at 1am.

 

Later:

7.25am.

 

DAVID BOWIE IS ON.

 

‘Warszawa’ – David Bowie



 

Tonite, Miranda and I shall meet again.

 

STAY TUNED…

I’m tired and I don’t want to go to work.

 

Later:

IT’S LATE.

 

‘Fame (Serious Moonlight Tour)’ – David Bowie



 

I HAD A PHONE CALL TONIGHT, FROM A GIRL.  I WASN’T IN.  I WISH I HAD BEEN.  BETTY TOOK THE CALL.  SHE NEVER ASKED WHO IT WAS.

 

WELL…

 

This evening, out Miranda and I went.  We decided to buy a Chinese.  So we did, but sadly we had nowhere to go and eat it, or anything to eat it with.  So we sat on the playing field in the Park and ate it there, using the silvery cardboard lids of our cartons as makeshift ‘spoons’.  I loved it.  We had sweet and sour pork balls and other stuff.  It just seemed really funny and romantic.  We then lay on the grass and, in each other’s arms, watched the evening clouds sail by.

 

‘The End’ – The Doors



 

One hour later, we were extremely drunk and walking through a fenced off and overgrown, but absolutely divine graveyard by the side of the big supermarket.  I never even knew it existed, but as darkness fell it was a magical and not at all uncanny place.  I mean, it’s very unusual, immensely overgrown, full of tombs and graves (some open), and its still silence could be construed as ‘chilling’ if you’re in that kind of mood, but I loved it and so did Miranda.  In the centre of the graveyard, standing proud from the violent darkness and deafening silence stands a tall structure.  It’s very hall-like, minus a roof, empty, dusty and has no glass in its three tall, arched windows.  The incredible thing about it is that it is practically devoid of any overgrowth and the light stone from which it is made means it is the best place in which to see anything once darkness has descended over the graveyard.  

 

It was here that Miranda and I made truly wonderful and ecstatic love.

 

ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL EVENING, BUT I’M SO TIRED.  EXHAUSTED…

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Dancing naked in the park…’

No comments:

Post a Comment