The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 18 August 1988

Don't Walk Away


Thursday 18th August

8.30pm.

 

At BLACKBERRY NARROW.

 

My No.1: ‘Don’t Walk Away’ – Pat Benatar




 

Bowie style faces, eyes closed, teeth in rictus grimace…

 

Long necked, floppy fringed acolytes gesticulating like they’re auditioning for the cover of “Heroes”…


 

Oh, the cruel conspiracies of fate; the cruel embarrassments that life thrusts upon us…

 

No A-level results yet, BUT another development in the BMW story…

 

I wrote a beautiful plea to her, asking her to meet me for one hour (and before you panic, it was far more eloquent and less desperate sounding than my ‘emergency notelette’).  Anyway, Ash said he’d deliver it through her front door for me.  So I kept back at a safe distance and watched him stroll along the Brink, cheerily waving back at me with the envelope.

 

Imagine my shrieking horror as he planted it into next-door’s letterbox! 

 

YEEEURGH!

 

As far as I can tell, Next Door are on holiday.  There’s been no light or life there in all the nights I’ve been hanging around on the Brink.  I only hope they’ll soon return and be very neighbourly by sending it back to BMW.  It had her name and address on the envelope, at least. 

 

How embarrassing, though.  I feel like dying in a smelly heap.

 

Mind you, I still love Ash a lot.  He tried.  Not his fault.

 

YEEEURGH!

 

AM I TO BE

CONTINUALLY
CURSED?

 

Beatrice’s beautiful eyes, light and yet dark…

 

Her wonderful smile…

 

Bread is on and I really love it.  I can really identify with them all (Justine used to call me Freddie Boswell!)

 

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘A-level results…’

No comments:

Post a Comment