The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Monday, 18 July 1988

Volunteering


‘Ambitious’ – Wire



 

An incredibly twizzly-faced man…

 

I’M WRITING ON

FLASH’S PAPER NOW,

BUT HE WON’T

MIND.  AND IF HE

DOES, HE CAN SLEEP

IN THE DYKE!  HA-HA-HA!

 

RITCHERD WINTERFOOD:

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTE!

                                               

Later:

 

‘Monday Monday’ - The Mamas & the Papas



 

I received, in the post, a letter from Flash today.

 

TODAY I COMMITTED (VOLUNTARY) MANSLAUGHTER!

 

Impossible, I know!  But, yes!  What I’m trying to tell you is that I volunteered for work at the LORRY YARD today, yes!  I was THAT man.  I worked at Freddie’s yard once again, in the hope of earning money for mine and Flash’s holiday in the Far North.  And, fuck me, matey, I’M SLAUGHTERED!

 

I’m tired, so I can’t say much, BUT

 

COMING SOON:

WHAT’S BERWIN GROOMSTOOL’S NEW MONOLOGUE?

WHAT IS THE BASTARDISATION OF ISADORA DUCASSE?

 

‘Hey Joe’ – Jimi Hendrix



 

One thing.  The rehearsal tonite was dull.  Rod Griffin listened in and we all talked stupidly.  But as I sat, waiting alone in the OLD MARKET SQUARE, who was the girl that waved at me from the upstairs window of one of the townhouses?  And why did she?  I waved back, of course, because she was quite attractive.  Was she one of the Gillicks?  I’m sure that’s MRS VICTORIA GILLICKS HOME…  Anyway, she was nice.  After a while, when she seemed to have gone, I occasionally looked up and eventually saw a little boy – or was it a little girl? – spying on me.  When he/she realised I’d seen them, they started waving, too.  THE GIRL eventually walked out of the house and into WISBECH proper.  She was really nice.  I hope I’ll see her on WEDNESDAY nite.  I hope she’ll wave.

 

[THIS INCIDENT WITH THE GILLICK’S KIDS WAVING AT ME WOULD GO ON TO INSPIRE A STORY IDEA THAT FLASH AND I WOULD TOY WITH AND WOULD GO ON, IN SOME PART, TO INSPIRE THE APPROACH I TOOK WITH THE CHINESE PLAY IN 1989 – Ritcherd, 18th July 1994]

 

‘Trip Stumble and Fall’ - The Mamas & the Papas



 

Berwin Groomstool, all smarmy and chuffed-looking, grinning his jags of sidelong teeth from beneath his trilby hatted head…

 

WORK IN THE MORNING. 

 

FLASH SOON…

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Performing Arts interview…’

No comments:

Post a Comment