The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 3 May 1988

Suzi


‘Digital’ – Joy Division



 

TODAY I FINALLY SAW HER AFTER AGES.

 

Well, I got up today and my hair was a complete mess. 

Totally wrong. 

Not ‘up’ in the extreme sense I require.

A damn lack of V05 + BOOTS combination-spesh. 

But it had to suffice.

 

I came into Tech, and I was told she was here, though I had not yet seen her. 

 

Eventually, at break, she came into the COMMON ROOM and Danny gamely joined me in getting a drink from the drinks machine near where she sits/stands. 

 

Her hayre’s up ‘n’ she’s wearing: black coat, white shirt, black skirt ‘n’ boots.

 

I didn’t look, but I heard an odd, embarrassed giggle.

 

OUR EYES MET BY THE WALL…

               

On the wall, outside, she passed us, looking + smirking at me.

 

Later, I saw her near the Library block.  She looked back at me as she walked on by.

 

Later:

English Lit lesson.

 

Lit Lesson Letter Between Ritcherd Winterfood and Sarah George.

 

RITCHERD:       

ARE TICKETS STILL BEING SOLD FOR THE TOGA PARTY? 

WHO CAN I GET THEM FROM, ‘COS I MIGHT BE ABLE TO SELL A FEW!

 

SARAH:               

Yes, they are.  Not many have been sold yet. 

You can get them from Bianca White, I think. 

God, this lesson is so boring. 

How’s your love life? 

Have you finally decided what you’re going to do next yr? 

If I get my grades, I’m definitely going to Hatfield Poly. 

I went to look around the other day, met some great people. 

Me, my boyfriend and Jenny and her boyfriend went out for a meal. 

Good fun. 

What did you do this w/end?

 

RITCH:                

‘F’ ALL! 

But I am ‘in lust/love’ (whatever) with a beautiful girl called Suzi. 

Trouble is, she’s only in Tech on Mon + Tues. 

Oh god! 

I need to speak to her, be with her. 

It’s as if we’re meant to get together. 

From what I hear, she ‘fancies’ me. 

We smile, subtly, vaguely + embarrassingly when we pass each other. 

And her friends point to her as if to say, ‘d’you fancy her?’

We’re always watching each other. 

I won’t see her after today, till Monday. 

What should I do? 

Talk to her? 

What would I say?

 

SARAH:               

Ah, that sounds really romantic. 

What does the girl do at Tech? 

Go over and say, ‘hey, I’ve got tickets for this great toga/pyjama party – would you like one?’

Hopefully that could lead on to a conversation. 

Knowing you, it would anyway. 

But remember, whatever happens take it easy. 

Get to know her as a person first. 

That way you can’t get hurt. 

Mind first, heart last. 

Is she alternative? 

What happened to that foreign girl you told me about?

 

RITCH:                

Not foreign, but her dad’s Polish. 

She’s a bit out of reach, really. 

Yeah, I want to do the TICKET TRICK. 

She’s ‘alternative’, yeah. 

Dunno what she does, but I think she’s so beautiful, etc! 

I haven’t stopped thinking about her all week.  She’s got ‘big orange hair’.  You’ve seen her.

Just the ideal person, to look at. 

She’ so…  Makes me go, WOW! 

GORGEOUS!  BEAUTIFUL. 

I want us to be together. 

I HOPE ALL GOES WELL!

 

SARAH:               

All I can say is, Good Luck! 

Let me know what happens. 

Try and do something about it today! 

Just ‘go for it’. 

You’ve got nothing to lose and it sounds as though she likes you. 

Do I see another ‘Jenny Taylor love’ on the horizon?

 

RITCH:                

HOPE NOT! 

Oh please, God. 

I can’t do the Ticket Trick, really. 

I won’t see her, hardly. 

After English I’ll go to the Common Room for 5 mins, then it’s rehearsals! 

So…  I could get a letter to her. 

What would I put in it, eh?!

 

SARAH:                 

You would put in it what you’ve told me, but not quite as dramatically. 

You can talk about your feelings. 

Similar to the letter Jenny sent you when you were going out with Alison. 

Make sure you don’t go OTT, though! 

Have you done your gig in Norwich yet? 

Don’t go to Mr Smith’s lessons, then you’ll have time to see her!!! 

I don’t think I’m going to go to his lesson. 

Too bloody boring!

 
Later:

A bit later – approx 12.50pm.

Still In English Lit Lesson.

 

How do you speak to a beautiful girl you’ve never met?!

 

Tuesdays, lesson 2 (just before), near my locker.  That’s where she’ll be.

 

WHAT’LL I DO?

 

MY LORD, MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN.

 

I SUPPOSE THE ONLY WAY SOMETHING’LL HAPPEN IS IF I MAKE IT HAPPEN…

 

MY LORD, GIVE ME THE COURAGE.  LET ME BLOSSOM.

 

LET US BE EVERGREEN!

 

Later:

APPROX. 3.20pm.

 

‘Dawnrazor’ – Fields Of The Nephilim



 

Oh Lord, I love you.  I love the month of May.  It’s a gorgeous beastie.  Oh, beautiful MAY.

 

NOW I HAVE FOUGHT OFF THE DEMONS THAT MAY HAVE MADE US HATE EACH OTHER.  NOW TO FIGHT AWAY THE BEASTS THAT MAY ARRANGE THE LYRIC: ‘Oh, well, let’s just be friends…’

 

Later:

11.30pm.

 

‘Cow’ – Gene Loves Jezebel



 

Hiya!  I’m back and I’m damned happier than bloody ever.

 

WHAT’S HAPPENED, THEN?

 

I’LL CARRY ON FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF…

 

In the Common Room this afternoon, I spoke to Shaz and all the Earth + their daughters decided it would be a good idea if I tried to sell Suzi a Theatre Studies Toga Party ticket (cheers, Sarah!).  I was all set to do so when she came in the Common Room with her maets, but then I got a shyness + embarrassment attack.  So Shaz, the old cow, shouted Suzi over, asking, ‘D’you want to buy a tech disco ticket?!’

 

Suzi said, ‘No, it’s too far to come at night.’

 

Shaz: ‘Oh, Ritcherd’ll take you.’

 

Ground drops away.  I go bright red.  Bury head in hands.  Look up.  She’s smirking.  I smirk back.  She walks away.  Fidget Fidget Fidget.  Glances across to her.  She’s mere metres away.  Legs offers no consolation! 

 

I was wondering what the hell to do!  I really wanted to speak to her.  I was dying to.  But she was a complete stranger. 

 

A glance at the clock.

 

Thought: FOR GOD’S SAKE DO SOMETHING.  SHE’LL BE GONE IN 10 MINUTES + YOU WON’T SEE HER AGAIN UNTIL MONDAY.

 

‘Autosuggestion’ – Joy Division



 

SO, I THOUGHT, WHAT THE HELL CAN I DO?!

 

Shaz’s friend who knows Suzi told Shaz: ‘She’s absolutely crazy about him.’ 

 

I’VE GOT TO ASK HER TO MEET ME IN NORWICH ON SATURDAY, I said to myself.

 

In the end, Mary said she’d go and ask her for me.  AND SHE DID.  She ended up saying something like this:

 

‘He’s not usually shy, but at the moment he is, and as you only come in on Mon + Tues, he won’t see you for a week, so would you meet him in Norwich on Saturday?’

 

Apparently, ‘she’ was taken aback.  ‘He’s actually noticed me?!’ she asked.  ‘And he’s noticed I’m only in on Mon + Tues?  Yes,’ she said, ‘I’ll meet him, but I’d like to speak to him first.’

 

So, I went over and talked to her.

 

‘Hi, I’m Suzi.’

 

So we spoke: where we live, what we like, who we know.  She lives in Swanton Morley.  She knows all the Dereham + Norwich lot, etc, but there you go.  Mind you, they’re not all that bad (I’m thinking of Kat, here).

 

When Suzi speaks, she has amazing, swirly hand movements and I still think she’s gorgeous.  We got on slowly, but carefully, too. 

 

‘I’m trembling,’ said she.

‘I’m dead tense,’ said I.

 

She is a ‘care assistant’, almost on a YTS (Hey-Ho!  Berwin!!!).  I told her what I am.  We also talked about the eye contact we’d shared over the last week – particularly that time I walked straight into her whilst meeting Luggage last Tuesday.

 

Alas, our few minutes quickly ended and she said, ‘Where shall I meet you on Saturday, then?  Oh, wait a minute.  Are you in Tech tomorrow?  Yeah?  Okay, see you here.’

 

And off she went.

 

‘Vicky’s Box’ – Throwing Muses



 

So I sat and wrote her a letter, explaining a little more about myself.  I delivered it to her when her lesson was over.  She then got on her bus.  I went to my locker, and passing her bus again we waved at each other.

 

At teatime, I was telling Betty all about it, when the phone rang.  Who was it?

 

SUZI!!!

 

We chatted about stuff.  We have agreed that we both like each other, and she seems happy to have met me. 

 

‘I couldn’t believe it when my friend said you fancied me.  I’ve been at Tech since last Autumn and I’ve been staring at you all the time.  I went out with an Art Student for a bit, but I’ve been watching you for 6 months.  I never thought I’d get to meet any of you lot.  D’you wanna come and see The Sugar Cubes in 3 weeks?  I told my Dad all about you.  Can you lend me your Bauhaus records?’

 

The call felt good.  But I felt like I was being a complete tit.  Still, she seems to be at least a ‘little’ happy to be ‘with’ me spiritually.  I’m meeting her in the morning and she should have a letter for me.  I’ll spend from 11am – 2pm with her, but I suppose she’ll have all her mates with her!  I CAN’T HONESTLY WAIT!

 

‘Rabbits Dying’ – Throwing Muses



 

Then the telephone rang again.  Who this time, but my very own little NATALIA WNEK!  She was ace on the phone.  And lately, I’d been thinking she wanted nothing to do with me, but she seemed REALLY into me.  We had a great talk and I feel really close to her for some reason.  She might ring again on FRIDAY.

 

On top of this, by the way, I think Justine (not Justine Black) fancies me.  It seems a little obvious.

 

The phone rang again later.  SUZI again this time, with her Goth-chum Leanne.  She wanted another vague little chat, and I made another pig’s ear of it, especially when Leanne came on the phone.  I didn’t really know what to say.  So I didn’t really say anything.  I bet they think I’m a dick. 

 

I really want a relationship to grow + work, despite Justine hinting her love to me.  I want Suzi + I to be great.

 

LET US BE.

 

TO TOMORROW!

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Spending time with Suzi…’

No comments:

Post a Comment