The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 26 April 1988

The Girl With The Orange Hayre


7.10pm.

 

‘Green’ – Throwing Muses



 

She is…

BEAUtiFUL

 

Looking so confident with her dark eyes and wide mouth, her vast, orange hair sweeping into infinity behind her…

 

Her waistcoat and her crucifix…

 

AS YOU CAN HEAR, THROWING MUSES ARE ON.  POLLY LENT ME A TAPE OF THE ALBUM SO I COULD FIND OUT IF I LIKE THEM OR NOT.  I’VE ONLY HEARD VAGUE BITS BEFORE NOW, BUT THIS IS GOOD.  I THINK I LIKE THEM A LOT.  THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TAPE IS THIS MORTAL COIL.

 

I SIT HERE ALONE IN THE STUDIO OF THE ANGLES THEATRE.  IT’S ALMOST TWO YEARS SINCE I JOINED TRIANGLIA.  TONIGHT, I LEAVE.  HA-HA-HA! 

 


HAH!  WHAT DOES ‘LEAVING’ HAVE TO DO TO ME BEFORE I ACTUALLY START FEELING BOTHERED?  TODAY IS TOO BEAUTIFUL TO BE CONTENDING WITH SADNESS AND FAREWELLS.

 

TODAY, I AM HAPPY.  I AM BEGINNING TO TRACE THAT FULFILMENT I HAVE OFT DESIRED.  I ONLY WISH IT HADN’T RAINED.

 

MONDAY I MET HER.  MET HER?  WELL.  WHAT I ACTUALLY MEAN IS MONDAY WAS THE DAY I SAW HER FOR THE FIRST TIME, FROM A DISTANCE.

 

OH, IT’S TOO MUCH TO BEAR.  TOO MUCH.

 

I’LL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT WHEN I GO HOME…

 

Later:

AT BLACKBERRY NARROW.

 

‘Over Theirs’ – Wire



 

First the mundanities of today…

 

I was smartly attired today.  I wore a white shirt (rare), my snakelace, snake trousers (nicely baggier than my usual jeans), GOPH boots, GOPH chain, byker’s jacket, big black coat and my Hieronymous ring.  The hayre was great, too.

 

I sat chatting with some femme mates, i.e. Justine (not JUSTINE BLACK), Hannah and the other one whose name I can’t remember.  BUT I swapped addressed with Justine (who lives on School Road in Dereham), and, well … I think she fancies me.  ULP!  She’s nice, but right now I have other interests…

 

As I said, Polly brought me the THROWING MUSES tape, but now the bastard’s screwed up!  I just hope I can repair it and return it one piece…

 

NOW THE IMPORTANT DEVELOPMENTS OF TODAY:

Well, the girl with the orange hair was in Tech today.  As I entered the Common Room, she was sitting at the opposite end to ‘Goth Corner’.  Luckily, for some reason Danny and Astra were at that end, quite near her, so I went up and talked to them, intending that SHE might notice me (and hopefully like me).

 

When I wasn’t in lessons, I spent the rest of the day seeking her here and there, but to no avail.  I was so frustrated, because I wanted to SEE her, find out her course and her name.  Following this failure, I returned to the CR, where I talked with Luggage about it.  He mentioned that it says ‘THE CURE’ on her bag.  A bit obvious, but oddly appealing.

 

Oh god, she appeals to me.  I think I like the fact that she’s not a doomy, total black Gothoid.  That said, Roger reckons she’s on a part-time course.  He thinks that she is an Art Student who used to wear lots of black and had long dyed balck hair.  I think I remember, now.  All I can say is that she’s made an incredible transformation this spring!

 

Anyway, as Lug and I sat talking about my Dream Goddess, in she came and stood at the opposite end of the room with her mates.  Pretending to be absorbed in conversation with Lug, I looked up occasionally to see that they were looking across at me.  Lug said it was obvious that even though she hardly looked down, she was asking her mates if I was looking at her.

 

In a tense moment, Luggage and I walked past them, heading for the shop.  He says they gave me a good look/stare.  When we got back from the shop and went back in the CR, the looking/whispering routine was the same for them as it was for us.  Then I went to the toilet, but when I got back she had gone.  However, Luggage says she made some sort of comment to her friends as I left the room.

 

‘A White Horse’ – Gene Loves Jezebel



 

I spent all afternoon searching again, going backwards and forwards from the Beauty Block to the Library Block until I ended up walking almost directly into her.  I looked away slightly as we passed each other, while she did the routine trick of turning to her mate and talking – which they weren’t doing until I appeared.  I could see the tricks for what they were, because they almost identical to the ones I had been employing.  Almost instantly, I bumped into Luggage and he joined me in following them and we realised they were giggling in an encouraging manner.  We then took a different turning to them and I said goodbye to Lug and went for my bus, waiting in the shelter for its arrival.  Some of the buses had arrived, but not mine.  One of the buses opposite me was bright yellow, but I didn’t really pay it much attention.

 

Along came my ‘bus friend’ Ruth Barton and we vaguely chatted.  She commented on how big my hair was getting these days.  I laughed and we talked about other stuff and I mentioned my ‘crush’ on the orange-haired girl.  Ruth said, ‘Oh, the one who wears a waistcoat?’ 

‘Yes’, I said. 

Then Ruth said, ‘She’s on that yellow bus.’

 

THE YELLOW BUS OPPOSITE!

 

My heart raced. 

 

‘How embarrassing,’ I thought.  ‘If she does like me, she’s probably been watching me all along.’ 

 

So I looked up at the top deck and there were all her friends, smiling at me.  SHE was looking cool and detached, no doubt on purpose.  It’s what I would do.  But all her friends were pointing from me to her with obvious enthusiasm.  I smiled and then turned back to my conversation in the shelter with Ruth, who was finding it all quite funny.

 

As our bus arrived, I looked back at the yellow bus, and all her friends were waving and smiling at me.  I waved back.

 

‘The Motive’ – Then Jericho



 

It seems she likes me.  I am astounded.

 

SHE’S GORGEOUS!

 

IT WOULD BE A DREAM IF SHE AND I WERE TO… WELL, WHO KNOWS?!

 

I WANT HER TO BE IN TECH TOMORROW, BUT MY HEART SAYS SHE WON’T BE.  EVEN THOUGH I’VE MADE SUCH AN EFFORT WITH MY APPEARANCE TO APPEAL TO HER.

 

Please be in Tech.  Come just to see me.

 

I DON’T WANT TO GET MY HOPES UP, BUT SHE’S SO FINE.  SHE’S SO VERY, VERY FINE!

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Shallow tide…’

No comments:

Post a Comment