The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 28 April 1988

Original TV Hits of the Sixties


9.10am.

 

My No.1: ‘Ahead’ – Wire



 

COMMON ROOM, NORCAT

(But not ‘Goth Corner’, because I have decided to distance myself from the likes of Justine, Suz, Mary, Tracey, Mad Ruth – not to be confused with my lovely ‘bus friend’ Ruth – and all the others.  I will not be sitting in ‘Goth Corner’ ever again.)

 

SO, NOW I KNOW NOT TO COME INTO COLLEGE ON A THURSDAY.  MY THEORY ABOUT ‘HER’ IS APPARENTLY WRONG.  WELL, THERE YOU GO.  NOW WINTERFOOD IS COMPLETELY DEPRESSED, BORED, LONELY AND LONGING.

 

HOW CAN I WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY?!

WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE A DAMN ‘HOLIDAY’ ON MONDAY!?!?!

 

WHY?

WHY?

WHY?

 

DOES ‘SHE’ LIKE ME?  IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THERE’S ‘SOMETHING’ THERE.  PLEASE LET HER BE SINGLE.  PLEASE LET US FALL IN LOVE.  PLEASE LET US BE ALWAYS BEAUTIFUL.  SHE COULD BE THE CULMINATION OF ALL I’VE EVER NEEDED.  LET US BE ONE TOGETHER.

 

YES.  I KNOW I’M JUMPING THE GUN, I.E. WHAT’S HER PERSONALITY LIKE?

 

I DON’T KNOW, BUT ALL I FEEL IS ‘GOOD’ ABOUT HER!  IT’S NOT THAT I SIMPLY ‘FANCY THE KNICKERS OFF HER’, OR ANYTHING THAT PATHETIC AND SIMPLE, I JUST…

 

WELL.  OKAY, OKAY, I AM IMMENSELY ATTRACTED TO HER.  A REAL LOT, IN FACT.  LIKE I’M ALWAYS FANCYING PEOPLE, BUT I DIDN’T KNOW  A CREATURE LIKE THIS COULD EXIST AND EXCITE ME QUITE SO MUCH.  I LOVE HER FACE.  I UNDERSTAND WHAT FACES MEAN (SORRY TO RIP YOU OFF HERE, WAEN, BUT…), AND HER FACE IS… OH GOD.  HER FACE… AND THOSE EYES AND THE MAKE UP.  AND I LOVE HER HAIR (ITS SHAPE, THE COLOUR, THE EFFECT…).  I LOVE HER HAIR.  I LOVE HER CLOTHES.  I LOVE THAT SHE’S ‘GOTHIC’, BUT NOT COMPLETELY MORBID-LOOKING.  SHE’S SOMEHOW MORE INDIVIDUAL THAN THAT.  SHE’S A SUMMERY GOTH, A COLOURFUL ONE.  LIKE I’M ATTEMPTING.  SHE IS CLEAN + SMART LOOKING, BUT COURAGEOUSLY ‘WEIRD’.  LIKE I AM ATTEMPTING.  SHE HAS STYLE.  SHE IS, TO ME, A BEAUTIFUL PERSON.

 

Oh.  Why is she not here with me now?

 

Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god. 

 

THURSDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY, MONDAY, TUESDAY… 

6 DAYS TO GO.  OH GOD!

 

That beautiful profile, so measured, so certain, so strong, with those cheekbones, that hair and those earrings, that crucifix, that waistcoat…

 

SHE’S SO FAR OUT OF REACH!  WHAT IF I NEVER SEE HER AGAIN?!

 

NO!  NO!  I CAN’T THINK THAT!  I WON’T!

 

Later:

2.30pm.

 

Oh, where does she live?  What does she do?  How old is she?  What’s her name?

 

HER’ (?)

 

Those cheekbones and that wild, orange hair…

 

Those Egyptian eyes and those dark, pouting lips, that pretty nose…

 

Later:

VERY LATE AND IN BED.

 

I’ve been listening to the new ‘instrumental’ demos of ‘Soul Brother, Soul Sister' and ‘Badlands’ over and over and they are excellent!  This is where I wanna go.  I wanna make ‘rock’ records that the kids can really dance to!  Disco-goff stuff!

 

We’re in the Badlands,

The gun is in command,

The broken thread of a lawless kind

Is the ‘dagger in the hand’.

In hazy, lowlife places,

A man’s fighting for a life;

Stone wall and stone-cold faces,

In a love and fire desire.

 

The footsteps heard at sunrise:

The bounty man’s in town.

Time to hide the boys away,

Time to hide away,

But your pride

Won’t hide

A steel and blood desire,

A broken love on fire.

 

Can never leave (Badlands!)

They’ll bury me (Badlands!)

 

Shivering out the sunburn,

A stolen place called Throat

Badland sun, silouhette gun,

It’s time to hide away,

Hide,

Hide,

A broken love on fire,

A steel and blood desire.

 

Well, you’d better find the reasons,

Cos he’s here to find us out,

He’ll bleed you dry and bleach your bones,

Leave you cold under Badland stones

As the sun sets in the evening sky

And gun law is destroyed,

Destroyed,

Destroyed.

 

Can never leave (Badlands!)

They’ll bury me (Badlands!)

 

I’ve bought an ace album of 1960s TV themes from Peterboro’, called – funnily enough – Original TV Hits OF The Sixties (by Various). 


My favourites are: ‘The Human Jungle’, ‘The Avengers’, ‘Danger Man’, ‘The Saint’, ‘Route 66’, ‘The Baron’, ‘Department S’, ‘Thunderbirds’ and, of course, ‘The Prisoner’.

 

‘The Human Jungle (Theme)’ - John Barry



 

THE GIRL

 

Oh, I can’t wait till Tuesday.  Oh god.  Let something happen.  She and I.  TOGETHER!

 

Perhaps, on some off chance, she’ll pop into Tech tomorrow!  Oh, please.  I feel a yearning.

 

NAME:

Obviously, I’d like it to be MARIAN.  Or ALISON.  But odds on, it’ll be TRACEY, SHARON, JOANNE, LORRAINE OR SARAH.

 

SOME FINE STAR SHINE ON OUR TOMORROW.  SOME KIND MOTION DRAW US CLOSER.  LET SHE AND I LOVE.

 

Amen to that.

 

Records to buy:                  





 

Oh.  Let me see her tomorrow.  And when next we see on another, let us fall in love and prove that love.  Amen to that!

 




 

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’section below) / ‘Berwin Groomstool’ is an iteration of the Situation character‘William Whicker’ and falls under joint copyright of Elton Townend Jones and Waen Shepherd / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction – cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 1 July 2012 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]

 

Next time: ‘Wonder of all wonders…’

No comments:

Post a Comment