The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Tuesday, 14 April 1987

Betsu-Ni

It’s 7.37am.



‘Love Moves In Strange Ways’ – Blue Zoo




FWAELE…



I’m sorry I di’n’t raite owt else last nate.  I couldn’t be arsed cos I wor raiting a letter to FLAY-HESH (Flash, you proles!).  Well.  I’ll go into more details about stuff later, because I’m nazzed rite now.



Just one thing: about life; happy endings do exist.  Alison Ford now goes back out with the boyfriend she ditched to be with me: Daryl.  Sweet, eh?  Everybody say, ‘Awhh!’



I’m going to wohk soon.  How ace, eh?  What a lauff we have!  Ho-ho-ho-ho!



Later:

12.45pm.



‘Another Step’ – Kim Wilde & Junior




My lunch hour, and all I really have to say … is this:



FUCK!  FUCK!  PISS!  SHIT!  I HATE PARENTS!  HATE!  HATE!  PISS!  FUCK!  WILLIES!  ARSE!  FUCK MY LUCK!  BOLLOX TO ALL PEOPLE OVER 30!



I said to Freddie today, ‘If I go to Ponty, can I go on Sunday?’

He said, ‘You what?  If you go to Ponty, you’ll go for the Bank Holiday, not this Sunday till next!’  And then he made big moans about it to Betty.  ‘He wants to go to Ponty for a week!’ 



Like it would cost any more in travel?  Like it wouldn’t cost them less in food and electricity?  What’s the problem?



Anyway, Betty said, ‘Phufhh!  He’s not bloody going.’

I said, ‘Why can’t I?

Freddie the Real He-Man, much, said, ‘You’ll be getting back here to go to work.’

I was dismayed.  ‘Why?’ I asked.

He said, ‘To earn yourself some money.’



Well, fuck them.  I’m not gonna work at shitshityard next week.  And I am no longer going to think it’s okay as I have been doing.  I will despise it.  And if I have to go next week, I’ll not lift a finger to help.  BASTARDS! 



It’s okay for them.  They’ve got a car, a social life.  I haven’t.  A nice trip to Ponty to see the family that Betty moved me away from, and my best friend IS my social life. 



FUKKA!!



Later:

8.34pm.



‘Betsu-Ni’ – Jansen & Takahashi




Work was tiring.  But more overtly, it was boring.



Flash’s letter, which arrived yestodah wants me to tell him when I’m coming.



WHEN AM I COMING?



HOW LONG FOR?



BETTY … PLEASE LET ME GO FOR A WHIEK!



This Jansen & Takahashi song SUMS UP MY LIFE SO FAR THIS WEEK…



Eh!  Sonia, where did our ‘love’ go? 



Why aren’t I upset?!  Because I expected it, I suppose.  My usual ‘rejection’ impulse? 



Yus.  Much!



‘Sickle Moon’ – Xmal Deutschland


Isn’t this record ace?



What went wrong, Sonia, you ol’ Xmal fan, you?!



LIFE CAN BE HATEFUL, BUT MOSTLY HURTFUL.



My tape-to-tape is fucked.  The head needs cleaning and I ain’t got a head-cleaner that wohks.



As well as that, I ain’t used my crimpers for days (not out of choice!) and my hair’s getting all flat ‘n’ floppy again.  And it’s not as brittle as I’d like it any more, which means it won’t stand up.  YUHK!  It’ll be ruined for some time, even if and when I get my crimpers back, I bet you.  And just out of spite it’ll look especially crap when/if I got to Ponty!







[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’ section below) / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 13 July 2011 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]



NEXT TIME: ‘Here I go again…

No comments:

Post a Comment