The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 1 February 1987

Year of the Hare

‘Despair’ – Japan

So it is now the ‘first of the shortest’ 1987!

I didn’t feel very down today.  It’s about 12.30pm and I am sitting on my bed, absolutely into Japan and Sylvian again.  Well it’s better than Steve ‘Silk’ Hurley.  I’m thinking back to my walk home yesterday.  I quite enjoyed it.  I’d really like to see Hannah, but I ought to think about doing some fucking homework. 

I don’t like Tech any more.  And I don’t know why.  Probably the real facts are that I hate my own attitude towards it and all the people there.  But really it’s my only hope of an acting career.  I wish I could just pull myself together.

‘Last Regrets’ – Ryuichi Sakamoto

Last night, I dreamt of my near death at the hands of some blokes who didn’t like me.  I was viciously stabbed.  This song reminds me of my depression at the end of last year.  What it ultimately meant was that I came closer to Flash and began to look at my life from a different perspective.  Heavy, man!  WOW!



LET’S GET ONTO A LIGHTER NOTE…
I love David Bowie’s so-called Berlin Period.  Will February hold a new musical phenomenon for me? 

AW YEYASS, T’WILL MOOCH, YA-DÜ!



Later:

‘London Boys’ – T Rex

Well here we are.  It’s about 9.45pm and I’ve just had a bath.  When you started reading this diary, you thought, ‘Ho-ho!  January 1st, the first day of the Year of the Hare, which is 1987.’


Well you were wrong.



And so was I.  Up until yesterday it was still the Chinese Year of the Tiger, which was supposedly a year of war and tension.  Today is the first day of the Year of the Hare, which the media seems to want to call the Year of the Rabbit.  Rabbit sounds stupid!  Anyway, it is supposed to be a year of peace, in contrast to last year.  And, if you are interested, I was born in the Year of the Dog.  How fortunate am I?



SO, HAPPY NEW YEAR (AGAIN!)




Would you like to know what I did today?  I did Fech all.  Except, in a reflective mood, I went outside for a walk down our ‘street’, or rather ‘country lane’, or more specifically ‘drove’. 
No, I didn’t drive, but our street/country lane is a ‘drove’, yeah?  No, me neither.  But I walked around listening to Japan on my personal stereo.  It was interesting.  Didn’t do much else, except listen to Japan a lot.



Tech tomorrow.  How jolly!  I’ve got to get up at about 6am to get there.  Yuh daw setch! 

WRITE TO ME, FLASH, Y’BASTERD!!!




[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’ section below) / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context. Never forget: no man is an island. If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 13 July 2011 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]



NEXT TIME: ‘Looking ahead…’

No comments:

Post a Comment