The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 30 November 1986

Twelve Years From Now: 30/11/98

TWELVE YEARS FROM NOW…


‘Pop’ – The Shamen



FUCK.


A letter from Lilith that dared to tell me that Robert has asked her to marry him!  Not one to be sensible and look at her previous marriage as an example [SHE WILL BE DIVORCED BY JUNE ‘99], she has said yes.  Of course [UNTIL SHE’S DIVORCED] they have a long engagement ahead of them.  She knows this is not easy news for me, but she says she didn’t want to keep me in the dark about it – oh, and that she wants us to be best friends, w/o secrets.  She says I’m still her best friend, despite us no longer being together; despite the fact that she’s in Washington and I’m in St Albans.  Right.  And you know what?  I actually believe she means it.  But that’s going to change VERY soon, isn’t it?  So why do we even need to bother playing this game?


How I hate my life.  I lost my chance with Lilith, and I lose all my chances.  Look at the way I’ve acted with Jen, when I know I desire her so very much.  So much.  So what is it that holds me back?  It’s ghosts.  That’s what.  I know this.  The ghosts of my life – in Jen’s case, my inability to move on from the Lilith paradigm.  I still haven’t learnt about grabbing my opportunities, have I?  For fuck’s sake, I had better do.  I really had.


So, now what do I do?  I don’t know.  I should call Jen and talk to her, but I won’t.  I can’t.  I really made a fuck-up of last weekend.  And it just wouldn’t be fair to use someone like that, who feels the way she feels about me (I hope) as therapy – especially as she’s about to leave for an entirely different continent. 


This is what I do, isn’t it?  I find women, complicated women who want to live on other continents.  Maybe it’s me that drives them there.


So now Lilith’s happy and I am so alone.  Why?


Oh god, why?




[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders including works originated by Elton Townend Jones, but excluding any images or design attributed to ‘The Situation’ which are copyright of The Situation (see specific acknowledgements in the ‘Thanks to…’ section below) / Based on true events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the late 20th century, this blog is a work of fiction.  Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is non-profit; all video clips are used for illustrative purposes and always come from YouTube / No copyright infringement is intended – just trying to get things into context.  Never forget: no man is an island.  If you think anything I’ve used is damaging you in any way, please comment and immediate action will be taken to minimise offence / This notice was amended on 13 July  2011 and is intended to cover this and all posts on www.25yearstoolate.blogspot.com that precede it]


NEXT TIME: ‘Back to 1986…’

No comments:

Post a Comment