The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Thursday, 19 December 1985

Christmas Still To Come

‘White Christmas’ – Bing Crosby


Due to the teacher's strikes, George took me out to Peterborough so he could buy me my Christmas prezzies. He bought me a thirty quid pair of suede pixie boots – acker! I also had a fiver with me, sent to me by my Gran Pritchard. As usual, I went into Virgin and looked under ‘Propaganda’, expecting to see ‘Duel’ and all the other usual crap (well, not exactly crap, but you know what I mean, don’t you, pop chums?). But I discovered, to my delight, a new 12-inch for the price of a 7-inch: ‘P-Machinery (Beta)’/ ‘Frozen Faces (Echo)’.


‘So,’ methought, ‘I’ll look for some Propaganda cassingles…’

None to be found!

‘“Relax” cassingle by FGTH?’

No!

Then I thought: ‘Who else was on ZTT that might have a cassingle out?’

Art Of Noise!

‘Mmm? No chance,’ I thought.

I looked – and found a ‘Close (To The Edit)’ cassingle, which I purchased!


Alas, Mum’s taken them all off me to be wrapped for Christmas and I’ve been forbidden to open them until Christmas Day! Ach!

Not my copy of Marvel Tales 183, though…


Last year:

Stu and I went to a Christian party at a house on North Brink.’

Whatever next?

Later:

Britain’s No.1: ‘Saving All My Love For You’ – Whitney Houston


My No.1: ‘Jewelled’ – Propaganda


Hello! Me again!

I’ve just had a phone call in the middle of washing up. BMW rang me! It was really great to hear her. We chatted for about half an hour, until I heard Freddie’s car in the drive. I told BMW it would be better if she went now, as Freddie would probably think I’d phoned her and I’d get into trouble for it.

Guess what?!

Freddie and Mum played hell, thinking I’d phoned BMW! When I told them the facts, they didn’t believe me! But they were wrong and I just can't respect them for thinking the worst of me. This sort of thing is happening more and more just lately. Looks like my part of the honeymoon is over...

Thank you, my Parents!

An abstract/cubist cartoon of a 50s workman in overalls and check shirt, hair neatly combed, both eyes on one side of his face and his ear opposite his nose…
An arrow from his nose reads:
BREATHE!
A bubble from his mouth reads: SAY
From his akimbo fingers, the word: Hi!
An arrow to the hand in his pocket reads:
POCKET THE DIFF-ER-ENCE!!!
Emblazoned across his overalls: JOB
His (checked) right foot reads:
A. FOOT TROT
His (checked) left foot reads:
B. WALK
His stubble is also done in check…

Top Hat And Tales.

[hello, DONNA DAVIDSON – from Ritcherd 1988]

A skull in a top hat with ‘TOP’ written on it…
Graffito reads: DIE!

A bearded collage of a face with a hat on it. It says ‘Hat’ on the hat…

(k) NO (w)

Another skull…
UN-
-DEAD!


IT’S GOT TO STOP!

WELL?

BITE!
WHAT IS THE POINT OF IT ALL?

LONG LIVE THE PANCAKE KING!

LIVE!

Tonight we went into Peterborough (twice in one day for me!), and Paula came with us. I really like Paula and we get on really well, even though she’s only 11. I bought BMW a massive card, which cost £3.50. I also bought myself Bill Nelson's Chimera LP and the 12-inch of Japan’s ‘Visions Of China’/‘Swing’.

WHAT RITCHERD WAS UP TO A YEAR AGO

[Images subject to control of individual Copyright Holders / While based on true life events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the 1980s, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / This blog is also non-profit and all video clips are used for illustrative and contextual purposes / No copyright infringement is intended.]

No comments:

Post a Comment