The Winterfood Diaries

The Winterfood Diaries

Sunday, 31 March 1985

Charlotte Info


‘I Love You, Miss Robot’ – The Buggles


Rang Jayne to ask her about Charlotte. Jayne told me Kirsty would know about her so gave me Kirsty’s number. I rang Kirsty. She’s going to get some Charlotte info for me.

OLD DIARY ENTRIES…
[About 12 years ago:
In March 1973, my Mum split up with my Dad. She and I went to live with her best friend, Janet Murphy, a few houses along from ours on Western Avenue – Ritcherd, 1990]

[About 9 years ago:
In 1976, my second dad, Paul, got a job as a policeman. With it came a large and modern house. We had been living in Rossington, Doncaster, but that March we went to live in Nostall, a small and pretty village near Wakefield. Moving there felt like the clouds lifting and the sun coming out. I enjoyed a brilliant childhood here, with lots of friends and fields and woods and trees. Things at home were better now, and my memories are mostly happy. Here, I discovered my true sexuality, playing ‘you show me yours’ with Mandy Wellington and Kirsty Mullen, and ‘True, Dare, Double-Dare, Kiss, Command or Promise’ with all the other kids. Here, we gained a cat called Twiggy, who quickly gave birth to a litter of kittens. In spite of our best efforts, most of them died on the day they were born, but Casper and Sooty survived. The former we gave to a neighbour, the latter stayed with us, and would live at eight different addresses over the next 13 years – Ritcherd 1990]

This time 5 years ago:
‘I watched Blake’s 7: Terminal. It was great...


... the Liberator blew up, so I have started drawing a comic telling stories about what happens next.’

This time 2 years ago:‘I went to Wakefield with Birdy, on the bus. We each got 15 leaflets for the Star Wars ‘design a bounty hunter’ competition.’

This time last year:
‘Called for Birdy again and we both went to Wakefield where I bought a Spectacular Spider-Man comic and a Star Trek comic…


…plus two Star Trek novelisations.


When I got back to Ponty, I went to the fair and then to Make-Up’s. He’s got me very interested in Christianity. When I got back to Grandma and Granddad Pritchard’s, they gave me some home brew and we spent the evening chatting. I must remember to write to Make-Up, especially when he moves to Sussex.’

[Text Copyright: Elton Townend Jones, 2010 / Images subject to control of Copyright Holder / While based on true life events and designed as a study of parochial British cultural and emotional life in the 1980s, this blog is a work of fiction. Cultural icons excluded, all characters and incidents featured are entirely fictional / All video clips used for illustrative purposes and no copyright infringement is intended.]

No comments:

Post a Comment